1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassist with vocals wanted: Richmond, VA; Prog Rock (ELP/Yes/etc.)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Maverick Blues, May 8, 2006.

1. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Back in February I caught an online ad from a keyboardist who was trying to find a bassist to fill out a progressive rock trio. He has strong ELP/Yes/Moody Blues/etc. influences; you can listen to some samples of his stuff here, and his site is here.

I dropped him an email of encouragement and asked him to let me know when he started playing out as I wanted to come listen. I made it clear I was a bass newbie and a non-singer and was NOT answering his ad. We swapped a few chatty emails and that was it.

Until yesterday, when he emailed to say that he'd had no luck finding a bassist and wanting to know if I was interested.

Folks, this man is desperate if he's asking me to play with him! :p

I reminded him that I'm not what he's looking for and that I originally wrote because I want to go HEAR him... not play with him. Plus the band I'm with is about to start gigging out, so my time is too limited anyway.

I offered to pass the word along in case someone here might be interested. I no longer have his original ad, but I do know he was looking for an "exceptional melodic bass player with lead vocal ability." The one other part that got pasted into emails I still have around is:

If you think you might be interested, give him a shout -- you can contact him through his site. By the way, the drummer he had lined up apparently got tired of waiting and moved on, so if you know someone who might be interested, please let him know.

DISCLAIMER: I do not know Mike and have had no contact with him beyond swapping a couple of emails. I neither recommend nor disrecommend him -- I just want to hear what a group he would put together would do live.

Cheers,
    'rick

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    well , i get 50 bonus points for knowing who niacin is , but i get negative 50 points for being in the wrong country .

3. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Heh... when I emailed Mike the first time, I quoted that Niacin remark and said, "You must be joking... and I hope you're not looking for another Sheehan; nobody shreds like Billy!" :)

He wrote back, "I don't need a Billy Sheehan but a Chris Squire or a Geddy Lee or even a John Wetton would do very nicely." :D

'rick

4. A melodic, lead vocal singing bass player. That's not going to be easy to find. Too bad I'm too busy, don't sing, and don't live in his state.
    -Alex

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm considering learning to sing and moving over there. :D