1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassists Alliance Project Drops Debut Album ‘Crush’

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Dec 19, 2017.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    LOS ANGELES, CA (Dec. 15, 2017) — Bassists Alliance Project announces the release of Crush this Friday, December 15. The album is a genre-busting debut record that showcases the versatility of the bass guitar and the professionals who have honed their craft for years. From prog metal to funk and experimental, the 10 original instrumentals on Crush give listeners with varied musical tastes plenty to digest, from rock-steady riffs and intriguing grooves to mind-bending solos and intense showcases of technique.

Seven-string bassist Jeff Hughell has emerged from the world of death metal to co-lead the Bassists Alliance Project and co-produce their debut album. Hughell is best known as the bassist of Six Feet Under, which recently released their critically acclaimed 12th studio album. A veteran player and solo artist with more than 20 years’ experience, Hughell embarked on a brand-new project that incorporates many influences. He teamed up with fellow bassist and progressive rock composer Alberto Rigoni of the Vivaldi Metal Project and Ardityon, and the Bassists Alliance Project was born.

Hughell and Rigoni composed most of songs on Crush, and combine talent on three tracks, including the title track that features bassist Adam Nitti. The album also includes collaborations with 10 other fiercely talented bassists: Michael Manring, Tony Grey, Scott Reeder, Brandino, Steve DiGorgio, Mark Michell, Ryan Martini, Colin Edwin, Dmitry Lisenko and Leonid Maksimov. The masterful Phil Cage drums on all tracks except the punchy “Tapping Wires,” where Maxim Rubtsov sits in. The album was mixed and mastered by Zack Ohren at Castle Ultimate Studios in Oakland, CA.

The musicians in the Bassists Alliance Project represent different countries, different generations and different influences, but on Crush, they come together for one impressive musical journey. To listen and download the album, visit their Bandcamp page or you can purchase or stream on iTunes, Amazon, Google, and most other music surces. For updates on the project, like their Facebook page.

Crush Cover Art.JPG

2016 Jeff Hughell Promo Photo 1.

2. Never heard of Jeff Hughell until last month when Warwick uploaded a vid of him. His tone just blew my mind.

3. maverick49

maverick49 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    Wow! Very interesting compositions and stellar musicianship. Buy yourselves a nice Christmas gift TBers! Great work guys.

4. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Bought the Album....

A little "Clever" for my taste....

Worth a listen though.....

smperry and 40Hz like this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'm only three songs in so far because I can only listen to so much of this kind of music at a time.

So far it's left me pretty cold as far as the overall listening experience goes. But there's seven more unheard tracks left so...fingers crossed. :)

6. Panda73

Panda73

Aug 29, 2014
    Mesa , AZ
    The guy on the 4 string acoustic is great.

The guy on the 7 string guitar needs to learn to play!

andruca likes this.
  7. Listened to half the album today. Terrible listening experience. Wanking and "virtouso" drivel, stupid pretentious song titles included. No soul or feeling in this bass "demonstration".

Bluesman88 and Fat Freddy like this.
  8. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Wow. What do you have to do to get your YouTube video to sit on the Talkbass front page for three weeks and counting?

9. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Got to admit that this is a more accurate, if less 'restrained' review, than mine was.....:D:thumbsup:

10. I thought there would be some exciting sound in the video based on the written article that brought me here but Im left terribly disappointed. Maybe Im just too old school. These guys have nothing on Geddy Lee, Les Claypool, Chris Squire, Jaco Pastorius, Jack Bruce and other greats but maybe they are not to be compared. Very uninspiring for me, amazing for someone else but not for me.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Fat Freddy likes this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Well…Mom always said if you don't have something nice to say, then don’t say it at all.

I finally made it all the way through the rest of the tracks.

I have nothing to say.

12. maverick49

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    Well, definitely some polar reaction. That's cool. I am just interested in hearing people try to stretch out beyond the 12 bar. Maybe whole compositions aren't to anyone's particular taste but some interesting passages. I appreciate any effort a musician makes to put their own fresh stuff out as opposed to current popular music which is sampled and derivative. Gladly paid my $10 for their effort - I have thrown away more money than that on bad beer. :thumbsup:

13. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment.....That's why I bought the album....

The music just didn't match the sentiment for me I'm sorry to say....

maverick49 and ProgressiveDoom like this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’m interested in experimentation.

I respect effort.

But I only admire results.

I’m far more interested in a literary work rather than the caliber of the penmanship it was committed to the page with.

I can respect the participants for trying to expand their boundaries. But I can’t say I cared for the results. Some of it was interesting. In places. I’ll grant them that. But I didn’t hear anything that I really felt broke completely new ground.

But maybe that’s just me. I’ve been listening to experimental music and music from other cultures and ages for a very long time. And one thing I’ve learned is that there’s precious little in music that you won’t find parallels for. Absolute originality, when it comes to music, is extremely rare.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  15. maverick49

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    Yep agreed. Great thing about different types of music - you can like/dislike whatever you want. You can spend time analyzing it, you can puke on it, you can love it, and you can even learn from it. Whatever works best for you. It’s all good.

40Hz, ProgressiveDoom and Fat Freddy like this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Truer words were never spoken. Like or dislike - it’s ALL good. :):thumbsup:

17. In my experience I have been subjected to music that instantly turned me off but at some point in time gave it another chance only to be surprised and impressed by what I was hearing. There is a time and a right frame of mind that needs to be open and ready to accept the sound to fully take grasp of it for what it is. Sometimes I wonder if what it is that Im hearing is in fact actually good or not, would I know if it was good?, I should but maybe I cant decipher it because its the "new" take on what I am expecting ,what I like and can appreciate. Maybe Im stuck in the past, but I am so very happy there with the sounds that comfort me.

ophyong, 40Hz and maverick49 like this.
  18. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    they should switch back to guitar. obviously that's what they want to play