Bassists/Drummers here???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Dec 15, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

anyone else here also a drummer? if so, what's your style, influences, and/or gear? how much has it helped your bass playin'?

i'm a hip/hop/funk guy trying to learn jazz/latin jazz. big fan of Horacio Hernandez, Akira Jimbo, John Blackwell, ?uestlove.

usin' a "nesting" set i got from the Modern Drumshop here in NYC (10x9, 14x14, 18x16), Zildjian A&Cie cymbals, and hopefully an Akira Jimbo snare soon, along with Johnny Rabb & Vic Firth sticks...

lol, felt like i posted up a singles ad... i'm an aquarius if anyone's wonderin'... :D
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I consider myself a bass player who also plays drums. I'm using a Tama RockStar kit with a bass drum, 4 toms, 3 RotoToms and Zildjian cymbals. I play mostly rock, and trying to learn some other stuff, particularly the local rhythms here - 7/8, 9/8, 11/8 etc.

Re. your question on has playing drums influenced my bass playing... notice how ever since you started playing bass you tend to 'hear' bass more than an average person? Well, since I started playing drums too, I 'hear' drums a lot more, and that has helped a lot my bass playing. I am far more aware of what is going on rhytmically.
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I played drums for 16 years before switching to Bass. Ive still got my set, 8 piece double kick Pearl set, with Zildjian and Sabian cymbals. I played metal/rock, and my influences were Clive Burr and Lars Ulrich.
  4. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    im a drummer.. have been practicly all my life. .but i got my first real kit at age 6 for christmas..
    It was a slingerland jazz kit.. was kinda in not good condition.. it was a well not so rich time in my family...but it served me up until 2 years ago.. after working on that kit.. put stuff back together i went and bought a set of Yamaha Dtxpress electronic drums.. I use them for recording in the foxy grandpas music.
    My setup is 2 crash cymbals.. a ride.. a snair, kick, highhat 1 rack tom and 1 floor tom.. Now i really have no use for a second rack tom sept when im playing rush stuff or else some metallica which i vary rarely play. I still have my second bass drum tower and homemade triggers but i dont use them either anymore.. =/
    My drum heros though are Bill Stevenson, Mike Portnoy, Neil Peart, Bobby Rock,and Bonzo.

I use different sticks for different types of playing i think i use Hot STICKS american flag sticks that i got last year for christmas.. and i use some my dad picked up from Hard rock cafe in Germany.. id say they are about the best sticks ive used. I dunno who makes em. I think they are 5b's though.. i like big sticks!

Does it help my bass playing?? well i understood theory alot easier and was already familier with Upteenth/4th time signatures..
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've played drums since I was like 10 I've been playing drums since I was 12....though I had a set, I don't anymore, and I barely practice drums, where I practice Bass constently. However I do still know a slew of rock beats, a couple jazz/latin beats and many different hip hop beats...I wouldn't consider my drumming any particular style, I just learned a bunch of beats, and I can play along to a song.
  6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I started on drums (or garbage can lids, if my parents have their say...)

Destroyed 2 sets in my high-school punk days, unintentionally. I hit way too hard back then.

In the studio at the moment I've got an expanded Roland V-drum set w/ an additional TD7 brain, adding pads as I get the $.

Also have a Peavey Radial Pro 5 pc set w/ a couple of snares, hope to sell that one eventually and upgrade; & a small 4 pc Premier set.

Got some congas, bongos, dumbeks, and whatnot laying around the premises too. Pretty much anything you can beat on is cool with us.

I'm really getting back into drumming the past week or so, now that we're set up in a bigger room, it's much more comfortable and enjoyable. Hooked up some subs for the V drums and it's been quite inspiring!

Influence-wise, I probably looked to the same bands as I did for bass inspiration. Yes, the Who, Rush, Zep, the Police...that's pretty much what I started out with. Then I discovered guys like Budgie from Siouxsie and the Banshees, Mark Brzezicki (Big Country), and Tim Alexander more recently. Also get a kick out of Bruford and Bozzio.

Nice to see some more drummers who bass, or vice-versa. I think the 2 definitely overlap.