1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassists & Drums

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Has anyone here ever noticed that most bassists (at least the bassists that I know) have a certain kinship with drums? When I was in high school, I was in the band and I played bass 99% of the time. But occassionally when the drummer was out, I would fill in for him and let my teacher play bass. Thing is, I never picked up a pair of drumsticks in my life before that, and I was still pretty damn good. I wasn't going nuts with fills and really busy stuff, but I was able to hold down a good solid beat without sounding like a robot (I still gave it my own bit of spicing up, but it wasn't anything crazy).

And then just 2 days ago, I got the chance to play some drums again for the first time in almost 2 years, and I can still play just as good as I could back then.

So my question is, does anyone else here have the same thing? Do any other bassists share this natural-born talent for instrument swapping?

2. my family says i should have played drums the way im always bangin on tables or the steerin wheel. i aint never played any kind of drum, but im always drummin.

3. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Certainly possible, even probable. I always tell folks who ask, that the bass is a bridge between the melody and the rhythm, combining elements of both. It makes me sound smart, and it's true enough. BTW, I started on drums first at age eight, won a talent contest at nine accompaning my dad who played guitar.

4. slodgenut99

slodgenut99

Dec 28, 2005
    im a bassist of 2+1/2 years, and im in a band at college doing covers, and i tend to be teaching our drummer the drums to most songs. considering hes been playin drums 6 years now lmao

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I can fake drums very well... If I practiced, I would be a good drummer.

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I took drum classes for nine months. While I enjoyed playing drums, I realized I could never quite develop true "independence" of both feet and hands. I was going to have to spend far more time practicing on the drum kit which would have taken away bass practice time. Hence I decided to abandon the drums.

To this day, however, I have a habit I can't rid myself of. I tap a drum line to every song I hear on the car radio and tap my fingers or right foot (bass drum) continuously in restaurants, etc. Being as I am now 62 years old, I guess it is a habit I will never break.

7. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    ... I thought I was alone in the world. I'm also air-drumming constantly. :help:

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was decent and could hold a beat once I broke the sync between my hands (that was the hardest thing for me) and have been known to do some drumming. Unfortunately, I sold my kit due to the sheer amount of space she took up. I miss having the kit around, but some day, one way or another I'll get one.

On the brighter side, it was eventually replaced with two very nice keyboards, synth, and a Hammond organ.

9. I am too an air-drummer.

Well for me I started out on drums. I could kinda hold a beat but I sucked pretty much. I got a wicked set (which I still have) but never use(d) it. I am going to sell it soon. I guess me and drums never worked out. I am a tapper though.

10. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I have a drumset.

it does NOT qualify me as a drummer.

I'm pretty bad, I can't do much besides play a swing beat for a couple bars.

11. I can sorta play bongos or congas well enough, have a good sense of rhythm, BUT I have a lot of trouble coordinating all my limbs on the drum kit. I've managed to get away with basic time-keeping drumming in the past but just barely.

12. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I thought I was the only one:smug: I can get on a kit and do fairly well for not having a drumset (I dont see myself as a drummer mind you). I think it comes from us bass players listening so intently to what the drums are doing. Kinda like catchers looking at the pitches and being good hitters. I have been tempted to get a drum set, but I dont want to give the better half a heart attack.:p

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I surprised my wife on night when she came to practice. I was having a hard time getting the drummer to understand what to play in a certain part of a song, so I went over and played it for him. My wife had never seen me behind a kit before (I don't spend any time there), and couldn't believe I could just play the part. I'm another one of those guys who could be a good drummer with about three months practice.