Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassists & Drums

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Has anyone here ever noticed that most bassists (at least the bassists that I know) have a certain kinship with drums? When I was in high school, I was in the band and I played bass 99% of the time. But occassionally when the drummer was out, I would fill in for him and let my teacher play bass. Thing is, I never picked up a pair of drumsticks in my life before that, and I was still pretty damn good. I wasn't going nuts with fills and really busy stuff, but I was able to hold down a good solid beat without sounding like a robot (I still gave it my own bit of spicing up, but it wasn't anything crazy).

And then just 2 days ago, I got the chance to play some drums again for the first time in almost 2 years, and I can still play just as good as I could back then.

So my question is, does anyone else here have the same thing? Do any other bassists share this natural-born talent for instrument swapping?

2. my family says i should have played drums the way im always bangin on tables or the steerin wheel. i aint never played any kind of drum, but im always drummin.

3. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Certainly possible, even probable. I always tell folks who ask, that the bass is a bridge between the melody and the rhythm, combining elements of both. It makes me sound smart, and it's true enough. BTW, I started on drums first at age eight, won a talent contest at nine accompaning my dad who played guitar.

4. slodgenut99

slodgenut99

Dec 28, 2005
    im a bassist of 2+1/2 years, and im in a band at college doing covers, and i tend to be teaching our drummer the drums to most songs. considering hes been playin drums 6 years now lmao

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I can fake drums very well... If I practiced, I would be a good drummer.

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I took drum classes for nine months. While I enjoyed playing drums, I realized I could never quite develop true "independence" of both feet and hands. I was going to have to spend far more time practicing on the drum kit which would have taken away bass practice time. Hence I decided to abandon the drums.

To this day, however, I have a habit I can't rid myself of. I tap a drum line to every song I hear on the car radio and tap my fingers or right foot (bass drum) continuously in restaurants, etc. Being as I am now 62 years old, I guess it is a habit I will never break.

7. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    ... I thought I was alone in the world. I'm also air-drumming constantly. :help:

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was decent and could hold a beat once I broke the sync between my hands (that was the hardest thing for me) and have been known to do some drumming. Unfortunately, I sold my kit due to the sheer amount of space she took up. I miss having the kit around, but some day, one way or another I'll get one.

On the brighter side, it was eventually replaced with two very nice keyboards, synth, and a Hammond organ.

9. I am too an air-drummer.

Well for me I started out on drums. I could kinda hold a beat but I sucked pretty much. I got a wicked set (which I still have) but never use(d) it. I am going to sell it soon. I guess me and drums never worked out. I am a tapper though.

10. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I have a drumset.

it does NOT qualify me as a drummer.

I'm pretty bad, I can't do much besides play a swing beat for a couple bars.

11. I can sorta play bongos or congas well enough, have a good sense of rhythm, BUT I have a lot of trouble coordinating all my limbs on the drum kit. I've managed to get away with basic time-keeping drumming in the past but just barely.

12. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I thought I was the only one:smug: I can get on a kit and do fairly well for not having a drumset (I dont see myself as a drummer mind you). I think it comes from us bass players listening so intently to what the drums are doing. Kinda like catchers looking at the pitches and being good hitters. I have been tempted to get a drum set, but I dont want to give the better half a heart attack.:p

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I surprised my wife on night when she came to practice. I was having a hard time getting the drummer to understand what to play in a certain part of a song, so I went over and played it for him. My wife had never seen me behind a kit before (I don't spend any time there), and couldn't believe I could just play the part. I'm another one of those guys who could be a good drummer with about three months practice.