1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists' gardens

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by unbrokenchain, Jul 8, 2019.

1. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Anyone else keeping a garden this year? Mine's a little unkempt from the crazy weather and not a whole lot of time spent on my part, but here are some shots from today.

Mostly annuals here besides the blueberries and elders at the top. Salad greens, brassicas, tomatoes, sunflowers, carrots, squash, a few types of mint, rhubarb etc.
    IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0520.JPG

The upper area has most of the perennials; coneflowers, oregano, rosemary, muscadine grapes, butterfly weed, hardy kiwi vine, and also some other stuff like peppers, tomatillos, okra, gourds, a sapling persimmon and some cool flowers. The evening primrose is the tall one with the yellow flowers. They wilt during the day and open up a fresh one at dusk every night, definitely a favorite of mine.

IMG_0515.JPG

My old pear and weeping cherry trees sometimes produce instruments, I harvest the good ones and leave the runts to rot..
    IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0517.JPG

2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I've seen more than one picture of Alcoas serving as a planter in a garden. Yea, sort of sad depending on whether you like Alcoas or not. :eyebrow:

james condino and unbrokenchain like this.
  3. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    D8A5423D-D4B3-4BCB-82AB-BAA7F726501D. Nice! I’ve always wanted to see a gardening thread.
    Here’s my modest spread. The surrounding trees had a growth spurt the last year, so I’m not getting as much sun as I’d like.
    Even though the yard is pretty big, (3.6 acres) most of it is very wet nine months of the year, so I’m limited to my location.
    The grass was just finally cut last week. You can see the remnants in the back. Tall fencing is a must to keep out the ravaging hordes of deer. I don’t always get the results I’d like, but my garden is one of the summer’s highlights.
    Hope to see more plots.

4. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    That's probably the one instrument that could be resurrected out of the garden! The Epiphone guitar pictured was once half-buried with potatoes growing inside of it. It's a total pos that needed to be taken out of the instrument pool, but it logged many many more miles than it should have and still tells the stories to the birds.

Nice spot of land you got there! Love the spruce in the background. 3.6 acres is huge as far as I'm concerned, I've got one acre and I can hardly keep up. I've heard that you folks up North have somewhat fewer pests and (ob)noxious weeds, if a shorter growing season. And deer, that's the one animal I haven't had in my yard here. I'm at the edge where the city meets the wilderness, so my yard is quite a thoroughfare. Bears and coyotes daily or more, flocks of 25+ turkeys on occasion, bobcat a few times, even a wild boar. But no deer for whatever reason. They have a tougher time in the mountains I think, though the ones around are pretty stout and healthy.

dhergert, Reiska and Inky13 like this.
  5. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    C7B777E2-A28C-4BF0-8869-BCC7391317B6.
    Someday I’d like to visit your neck of the woods. I’ve heard it’s pretty sweet. Maybe it’s watching over-hyped reality TV, but it looks like those feral pigs are a real problem in some parts.
    I had a bunch of rabbits lined up at the fence the other day looking in with hungry expressions. Ha! Ha! Suckers! No lunch for you! But the squirrels are a PITA with my sunflowers and I’ve given up with corn. But yeah, the deer are everywhere. There are a bunch of them sleeping in the side yard right now. They’re worst enemy is a moving car. I once hit one in my own driveway. He was all hopped up on snow melt salt.

unbrokenchain likes this.
  6. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    If you're into things like plant diversity, ecology and microclimates it's a really interesting place to be with a lot of public land, and Ashevegas can be a fun kooky place to visit. Between the humidity, steep trails, and the forest cover you really have to work pretty hard to get a long range view though (aside from the Parkway).

Yep, I did my whole sunny area (1/4 acre or so) in corn the first two years I lived here, mainly as chicken feed and because I like the way it looks (hickory king strain is amazing and ginormous), but between the squirrels and the bears I hardly had a harvest. I don't really care, but at least they could leave me something. This year I just did a small circle of corn where my old firepit was.

The bears are pretty fun to watch with the corn though, they eat around each cob like a human, only they lay on their backs and just pull the plant over to them w/ the cob. The bigger they are the more lazy, hah! And so accustomed to humans on this side of the mountain that I have to throw firecrackers to get them to leave. I draw the line at the wild boar though, my dog and I ate very well off that one for a couple months, anyway.. Was hoping to get a photo of my shiitake and oyster mushroom logs in action too, but they've been pretty slow this year, thinking they'll take off again in the fall.

Inky13 likes this.
  7. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    OK you’re killing me here with casual references to Bears, Boars and mushroom logs. 1. Yogi just hanging out? Is that a normal NC thing? 2. How was the wild pig and did you harvest it yourself? 3.I love mushrooms but do not know anything about growing them. 4. I think I want to party in Asheville.

unbrokenchain likes this.
  8. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Among other things, Asheville has something in the neighborhood of 250+ black bears that live in the city- yes 250!!!! It is well documented and researched, they are collared and you can track their patterns and behaviors. You see them all over the place. Unfortunately, many are morbidly obese, junk food fed, lazy, disruptive city bears, that only show up on garbage days at my place......

When I first bought my place, we had fruit trees galore thx to the previous owner. I kept a small compost pile in the back of the lot next to the giant forest adjoining our property. Then a big developer cut down the entire forest and put up 8 houses per acres. The local squirrels that survived turned ravenous and ate up all the fruit trees so much that they all died- the fig trees were so tastey that they ate the entire tree down to about a foot into the ground.

Next we got some chickens. Personally, I much prefer getting fresh eggs from the beautiful women at the local farmers market...The squirrels left the chickens alone, but the bears loved the chickens. You learn a lot about the local animal population as a chicken owner. The owls sort of fillet the whole chicken- leave the feathers and skin but eat everything inside. Possums are vampires- they eat the head off and then suck all the blood out of the body and leave it whole. Coyotes leave a trail of feathers everywhere, but not much else. Old dog sort of gummed to death a chicken or two, but not much else. The bears ate about 15 chickens. They will also eat the eggs if they are outside of the chicken, but when they kill a chicken, if the eggs are inside it still, the bears will not touch it.

Mrs. C had enough of the bears, so she searched high and low and brought home a fancy well bread bear killer dog. I was amazed the first day that the 25 lb puppy chased away two very large bears from chicken dinner. New puppy also does not like vegetables, so garden is doing fine...BUT...nowhere in the conversation did puppy seller mention that dog#2 likes chicken as much as I do. Now chicken losses are around 30 for new dog and old bears...but none for bears in 18 months. Old dog died, so along comes another expensive exotic puppy....who likes chicken more than other dogs and bears combined, doesn't give a s#!t about anything other than itself...and also likes to jump the garden fence and eat fresh cucumbers off the vine...

The garden ALCOA scarecrow photos that I have seen are from an old professor at Interlochen.

I'm also guilty of basses in the garden:

DSCN3098.JPG DSCN7609.JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  9. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    James, your basses in the garden are beautiful and seem full of life and potential...

The ones I've seen were sun bleached and weathered, had either missing tops or large holes in the tops, with soil inside and grasses and small blooms growing randomly out of them, positioned among basketball-sized rocks and tumbleweed with a seemingly dark sense of abandonment. Sort of like an ancient disabled wingless flying machine, or a bass-shaped, juxtapositioned casket, something to walk reverently around. Actually not ugly, but also definitely not ever again to be among the living.

Inky13 and unbrokenchain like this.
  10. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    1. Yes, see Condino's description above... I'm originally from the Eastern part of the state, and they are even bigger over there, a thousand pounds not unusual, but around here there are a LOT of bears (though actually the middle of the state supposedly has no or few bears fwiw). I haven't seen one with a tracking collar in a year or two but I think NC State's Asheville research is ongoing. My dog is a Plott hound who wants nothing more than to chase the bears (who do run from him for some strange reason), so I have to look twice before I let him outside. Every time.
    2. Freakin delicious, both crockpot and smoker. Yes. Archery. My roommate at the time came home when I was in the middle of dressing it in the driveway, won't forget that look. :roflmao:
    IMG_0524[1].JPG

3. Mushrooms are the ultimate crop for a lazy gardener! Super easy and no weeding, heck you don't even need sunlight. Some are more difficult to grow than others but shiitakes and oysters are very forgiving. Drill ~2" deep holes in fresh cut logs, shove in some spawn (either purchased or you can make it by putting raw mushrooms in a paper bag in a plastic bag in your fridge, it's ready when it's covered in white) then cover the holes with beeswax, and let the logs sit outside where they will get rained on. Tulip poplar works well but only lasts a few seasons, cherry and oak take a little longer to colonize but they last for years. Just looks like a pile of branches right now but they are completely covered when they flush.
    IMG_0526[1].JPG

4. Yes. Bring it :bassist: But as the saying goes, "be a pro, not a bro." ;)

You said it. Had 5 or 6 people over on a Saturday afternoon a couple years ago, heard the chickens screaming, thought it was (another) hawk attack, ran up to the coop to see what the deal was, bobcat staring back at me with a chicken it his mouth from, oh you know maybe 3 feet away from me... I literally couldn't even scream I was so frozen. Eyes the size of a freakin half dollar. Have caught him a number of times on game camera. Every time I left town I would lose a few chickens, started with 15 and now I have none, done with that game until I can build a serious bunker of a chicken coop.

Love the Kay in the Forsythia!

Inky13 likes this.
  11. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    This is a poem unto itself

dhergert and Inky13 like this.
  12. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    This is from last year, but it shows the evening primrose doing its awesome thing

13. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    The only thing that's growing outside right now is pain.

Hot.

Joedog likes this.
  14. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Holy heck man that's hot even for cottonwood country!

Carl Hillman and Inky13 like this.
  15. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    That was just after noon.

By 3:30 the heat index was well past 120 degrees. Walking outside was like getting smacked in the face with a hot iron skillet.

This is why I don't bother with tomato plants until the fall.

16. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    7C3D2D7C-1A69-404C-87EC-B51F92FC5B96. We moved house last December and Mrs D is masterminding the plants and shrubs while I do the heavy lifting. Here is a pic of a pergola/arch I made up out of bits of wood - not kit. Should I try a DB? Perhaps not.

17. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Very nice! What kind of growing season do you have there?
    Tell us about local conditions.

18. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    4AD4E4A8-380B-4678-9C46-D1C7E4A15D68. Thanks for the ‘likes’, guys. I see that the pic was taken at the end of Match. Here is an up to date pic I took this morning. You can see one of our two large oak trees. If you look through a gap in the trellis there is a hole in the tree where a Nuthatch returns every year to make its nest and bring up its young. A Nuthatch is like a small Woodpecker, a short scale version if you will.

Inky, things start to bloom here from the beginning of May and, although some will fall by the way, some will last through to October. At the moment we have had three weeks without rain but there’s some in prospect to keep the garden fresh.

19. My back yard is so small that I turned it to a kind of a miniature japanese garden and grow my edibles elsewhere. Soothes the soul most of the year. 33CDD119-C34B-4210-9F94-45952B6609ED.

Fretless55, Reiska and unbrokenchain like this.
  20. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    4249BB92-6CA9-424A-94B2-85D2400998DE. 60AC0342-5F52-4085-ADC3-6813E959E8D1.
    Burlington, VT city garden!