Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassists Get No Respect Part Deux

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Machaut, Feb 10, 2003.

1. I bought my wife the new Shania Twain CD the other day. Over the weekend she had it on the music system and I started to listen to the bass lines, so I dug out the jewel case to look at the lyric sheet to see who was playing....and guess what?...THERE AIN'T NO ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.

Now folks, I KNOW a bass player is playing on the cd, but as far as the world is concerned, it must be the same bassist from the movie "That Thing You Do", the infamous T.B. Player (sarcasm becomes me).

This is a major release, by an artist who has sold millions of cd's and a record producer (Mutt) who should know better.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow. That surprises me. And it's definitely not sampled/programmed bass?

3. Moley,

You mean someone would actually do that? Yeah, could be...but isn't that another sign of no respect?

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh, well, it could be a bass sound from a sound module, programmed using a sequencer? Though, I would've expected Shania Twain to have a real band.

Are any other musicians credited?

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Read the earlier Motown liner notes! :mad:

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, true. But nowadays, I tend to find that the musicians are all credited.

7. I can understand what happened at Motown. You had the big name artists whose name would be a deciding factor in airplay and performances. You had the songwriters who were going to collect part of the royalities.
    After that everyone else was secondary as far as recognition went. Doesn't make it right, but that is what happened. I knew of Holland/Dozier/Holland long before I had ever heard of Jamerson.

I think Moley is right as far as the Twain CD goes, its probably a sampled bass. Other musicains are credited for some of the parts, but all acknowledgements seem to be skimpy. Is that Mutt just being the autuer?

8. judging from Mutt Lange's production of Def Leppard albums, and his fondness for using Fairlight samplers to construct the bass parts in the 80's, I'd say it was programmed in some way.