1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassist's Girlfriend in need of help for Christmas Present!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GfOTBassist, Oct 30, 2013.

1. 1 (You can do way better than that piece of junk for less!)

36.7%
  2. 2

13.3%
  3. 3 (Eh. You could do better -- But the pedal is a decent one.)

36.7%
  4. 4

6.7%
  5. 5 (Great pedal! You are the best girlfriend a bassist could ask for!)

6.7%
  1. GfOTBassist

GfOTBassist

Oct 30, 2013
    :help:
    Hi.

For Christmas, I decided to get my boyfriend [a bassist] an effects pedal.
    I've done a little research, but not being musically talented myself I'm not very educated on the subject. I have no idea what I should be looking for.

I found this bass pedal by Zoom.
    It is the Zoom B2.1u pedal with usb capability -- well... let me just give you a link:
    Click Me - MusiciansFriend.com Link

I have read a bunch of reviews, but like I said, I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

If you know of any pedals that may be better for the same price or cheaper, let me know.

Our price range is no more than $100 (with a $20 cushion) -- but I will be shopping used or looking for sales, so if I can get it used for that much then suggest away!

A little information on what my boyfriend plays -

He plays a lot of RHCP.
    But he also likes the dirty heads, the expendables, and music of that style.
    He really needs something that is versatile.
    He wants to be able to record and have some drum beats on the pedal as well.
    He isn't too big on overdriven and distorted sounds, but it would be good to have a few to choose from -- not super important though.

Thanks in advance

2. whyrockbass

whyrockbass

Oct 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    If you can get him a used fuzz pedal, I'd go with that. Now I'm not a Berkeley staffer, but I've never been a fan of zoom. Bassists love the fuzz!

3. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Does he have any other pedals already? A filter pedal like the "MXR Bass Auto-Q" might be a decent choice, it's a lot of fun, sounds good, great for funky RHCP lines, durable, and inexpensive if you can find one used.

I'm not a fan of effects pedals that try to do everything but the Zoom seems to have a decent reputation.

So I vote 6. You are the best girlfriend ever but you can do better (than the Zoom!) :)

4. 3rdWatch

3rdWatch

Feb 9, 2009
    Escondido, Ca
    I have the zoom B3, if the B2 is anything like it, he'll love it! I've never been a fan of multi, but zooms been putting some good stuff recently IMHO

5. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I have the zoom b3 that I got as a gift from my girlfriend and it's amazing, highly recommended. If you can't find a used one with your budget go for the ms-60b. Essentially the same thing, just in 1 stomp box.

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Basically your choice is between getting a multi-effects pedal that would do everything, but maybe not be great at any of it, or get an individual pedal that will do just one thing well. The Zoom B3 gets a lot of love around here but at $199 it's out of your budget, unless you luck into a used one. Presumably the lower-end Zooms like the B1X or MS-60B would be OK. There's also the Digitech BP90, I started off with the older version (BP60) and it was good for playing around and learning what the different effects sound like.

Another couple of things to look at would be the Hartke VXL Bass Attack or the MXR M80. The M80 is a little over your budget at $139 new but you can often find used ones being sold. Mine is basically always on; it allows for tone shaping and can add distortion, plus it acts as a direct box (useful playing live, runs your sound straight to a PA). The Hartke does a lot of the same stuff for $99, it doesn't really have a distortion effect but has a "harmonics" knob you can crank up to get distortion if you want it.

If I were your BF, and you're going to follow the budget strictly, I'd probably go for the Hartke. Inexpensive multi-effect units are fun to play around with but I found that eventually I wanted proper dedicated effects boxes and sold off the multi-fx unit. He'll be able to build any further effects he wants onto that.

7. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I'm not a user of effects pedals, but I see those who are, often go through many pedals, and often are only temporarily satisfied. People buy a pedal, and think it's the greatest thing they have ever used the day they bring it home, and then a while later, the novelty wears off, and they get rid of it. Keep this in mind. Don't feel bad if you buy something that loses it's appeal after a short time. Pedals do not make memories. I suggest you buy a gift that is more personal. A high quality strap like a Levy's for example. I would also buy local so that if the gift needs to be returned, you don't have to deal with shipping. A gift certificate may seem impersonal, and not given with a great deal of thought, but on the other hand, if the recipient selects their own gift, they will get what they really want.

8. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    based off your budget and needs the Zoom MS-60B is great. (100 bucks new and really imopressive set of effects inlcuding a tuner).

Don't get the Zoom B2.1u as I personally found its effects either lacking, very processed but it has a few good tones.

If you can splurge (or find a used one) you can't go wrong with the Zoom B3.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Get him a Zoom B2, girlfriend. Lots of good sounds in there, very versatile - and only $99 at the usual online stores. It's more compact than the Zoom B3 too. :meh:

MM

10. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

Zoom MS-60B is the best value out there. Uses the same chip as the B3. Shop the sales and you can find it for under $100.

11. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    The Zoom MS-60B is better regarded around here than the B2 and exactly $100, right in your price range---your (or his) mileage may vary.

12. another vote for the zoom MS-60B...

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Zoom B3 and gift wrap that's all you need.

14. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Are you a girl?? That'll work :) :)

Edit: if that's not enough, SansAmp.

15. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY

She said he's not into distorted tones in her last paragraph.

16. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    @GFoTBassist If your man doesn't have an Envelope Filter, or an Octave pedal, both are popular and very usable effects for bass.

Search YouTube for "bass envelope filter" and "bass octave pedal" and you'd quickly notice if those sounds are ones he's already making.

The Zoom units are a good value, versatile and sound decent.

They're not on pro stages nor in recording studios, but for the money will deliver a lot.

Years ago, when I was dead broke, I used a zoom unit on loan from a friend for hundreds of gigs and it was great having it.

17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I have both a Zoom B2.1U and a Zoom MS60B, and i'd recommend the MS60B. IMO, it's one of the best values available.

18. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    if i was you id either ask him what he wants or give him some sort of gift card.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have the B2, which is the same pedal minus the footpedal, and I give it a solid 3. The sounds that are in it aren't always the best ever, but they're not bad at all for the money. I especially like the Fuzz Face modeler in it.

20. Jimtoonz

Jimtoonz

Aug 26, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    What?! A bassist with a girlfriend? I missed something here.