1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists in modern dub, downtempo, etc.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dubmon, Mar 6, 2008.

1. dubmon

dubmon

Sep 20, 2007
    Big fan of classic dub and reggae, but also dig quite a few modern players in dub, downtempo, trip-hop, etc.--anybody else? Most of these guys seem to go for the classic sound and vibe, even in the modern setting.

A few I dig:
    Bill Laswell(of course)
    Jah Wobble(of course!)
    Ryan Moore(Twilight Circus Dub Sound System)
    Josh Werner(Matisyahu)
    Greg Reeves(Cordovan, LVX Collective)
    Stu Brooks (Dub Trio, 50 Cent, etc.)
    And whoever's playing on some of the Thievery Corp. stuff, Bombay Dub Orchestra, and Gaudi albums. Solid, no-nonsense head-nodding bass . . .

2. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Stu Brooks is awesome.
    Check out the guy with Brazilian Girls too--killer.
    And I LOVE Paul Simenon doing it dubwise with The Good The Bad and the Queen--great example of implying the dub onto a different context

3. Not really modern I know but their influence is................ well (SLY-drums) & Robbie Shakespeare-bass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Massive Attack deserves a mention here, check out the basslines to Safe From Harm and Teardrop.

5. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Actually, Sly and Robbie are ALWAYS on the tip of what's happening, even after such long careers spanning so many musical eras. Those guys are amazing.

6. Willy Camero

Willy Camero

Jan 5, 2005
    Austin TX
    In Texas, there is a fella that goes under "Brilliantes del Vuelo" that is about the baddest dub/reggae/downtempo bassie I've heard. I've heard his stuff on myspace and itunes. If nothing else, check out "I know that," which is featured on dub.com too. He also plays all the other instruments too.