1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists lead by the band

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassgrinder77, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    I'm thinking about Bands in which, from a technical standpoint, the bassist was utterly inferior to all the other musicians. I'm talking a real sad sack follower who couldn't tie his shoes without permission from the others.

2. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    What about them?

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Danny Partridge?

I mean, the rest of the family could play their asses off.

4. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    What about them? Who are they?
    For eample, Bill Wyman come to mind. He was a real duffer. An embarrasing lackey.
    Also, Reggie from the Archies. Well, ok he had attitude but no way could he match Archie's leads.

5. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    +1 on Bonaduce! lol

6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The bass player from the White Stripes. That guy doesn't do a thing for that band.

7. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Those are some mighty big fighting words. Wyman's got the coolest, weirdest style ever.

8. Space-Man

Space-Man

Jan 27, 2009
    Why is Bill Wyman such a "Duffer"?

9. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Sorry but it never failed that whenever there was a stones song with decent bass it turned out to be Keith or someone else. It's entirely fitting that when Wyman left the Stones he was replaced by nobody. I'd honestly be surprised if he can tune his own instrument. I guess you have to credit him for showing up, but only in body, like a zombie. He really added nothing, which I suppose does constitute a weird style and I suppose it's kinda cool that he got away with it ...

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I can't agree. Darryl Jones is a killer player but the Stones don't sound as good to me with him as they did with Wyman's odd grunty tone and style. Rock isn't always about technical proficiency.

11. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    I agree. The Stones are somehow better with Wyman.

12. i really think Bill Wyman is a pretty cool bass player with his distinct style.

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My band comes to mind........

14. I'd like to nominate John Entwistle, Chris Squire, Jack Bruce, Pino Palidino.

What a bunch of slackers.

15. haha :bag:

16. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i feel like a lot of the bassist in todays "modern rock" bands suck hard.
    somebody's cousin that didn't have anything else to do, so he picked up a bass.
    "it's easy! it only has four strings!"

17. I think I resemble this remark. I have an explanation, though.

My church gig has a piano player. She's great. Put a sheet of music in front of her and she can sight-read it perfectly. The trouble is, she doesn't / can't follow. She leads. I can either follow her, or let the whole mix fall apart. In another situation, I'd be more upfront in my playing.

18. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    How about Fieldy from Korn, or Paul Gray from Slipknot. Those guys don't even know what all the strings on their basses are for. Head and Monkey pretty much write all of Feildy's bass lines, and Paul Grey just follows whatever Mick Thompson or James Root is playing. Don't even get me started on when Twiggy was with Marilyn Manson.

19. reno88

reno88 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Atlanta
    stu sutcliff from the early beatles. he was terrible! they kept him for as long as they did because he and john were buds, and the chicks dug him. dude kept his back to the crowd because other bands came to see them and would scrutinize their playing - mostly his. he was lousy, but at least he knew it.

+1 on the korn, slipknot, limp bizkit nonsense. total rubbish from day 1.

20. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    the guy from My Chemical Romance XD, they all suck, they went famous to soon, but that guy in particular sucks, and so does the guy from Queen

they suck so much I don't even know their names!!! safdsdfggah