Bassists of the '60's Club.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SoulReflection, Apr 16, 2020.

1. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    This was just at the time I was beginning to wonder where this "music" was going.

TomB and bobyoung53 like this.
  2. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Ha, I would never have known...

bobyoung53 likes this.
  3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

What was wrong with that? It sounded like Lucinda Williams meets the Yardbirds’ Shapes Of Things”.

TomB and bobyoung53 like this.
  4. Stugilliam

Stugilliam

Apr 28, 2016
    Eastern CT
    I remember that one very well, that may have given me my love for the B-3!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. Michedelic

Nevertheless, a huge hit; the album was produced by Pete Townshend and Kit Lambert, and feature some killer jazzy album tracks...

There’s actually bass guitar on that album(by Nick Greenwood)although Crane went on to use bass pedals in Atomic Rooster(the band from whence Carl Palmer came). The Arthur Brown stuff was alot like Brian Auger and the Trinity, with Julie Driscoll(Dave Ambrose on bass)...

All of it a hell of a lot more interesting than the Gerry and the Pacemakers/Freddie and the Dreamers bubblegum from a few years before.

6. Stugilliam

Stugilliam

Apr 28, 2016
    Eastern CT
    I have two albums from Atomic Rooster and listened to one, In Hearing, of them just two weeks ago! And still enjoyed it!

bobyoung53 likes this.

7. That Brian Auger stuff is great, in fact I'm glad you reminded me because I was going to get a few of his CD's and forgot about it. I have the Arthur Brown album at home, really good stuff. I still like Gerry and Freddy though, in fact the guitar in fact I used to dream about buying the triple pickup guitar in one of the catalogues we used to get, Montgomery Wards maybe it wasn't Sears, because I KNEW it would sound just like the guitar in
    'I'm Telling You Now'

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    SoulReflection and BassikBrad like this.
  8. And this tune made me want to buy an EB-2/Rivoli because of that nice deep C#: I still like all the stuff I did when I was a kid (just about), I just build on it.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  9. Michedelic

Then there was the 70’s band, Oblivion Express, with Alex Ligertwood on vocals, they did well on FM radio at the time. But there is a great overlooked Arthur Brown album from 1974 that is in a space rock style, somewhat like Hawkwind, ahead of its time in that there was a drum machine used(be patient, it really doesn’t take off until 2:09)...

gvbassman and bobyoung53 like this.
  10. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    "Save Me" was great...

11. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    "Vincent Crane: bass pedals on his Hammond organ."

One heck of a player!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  12. gvbassman

gvbassman Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Grass Valley,Ca.
    I am also an old bass man from the 70's but grew up in Oakland Ca.in the 50's .I was lucky enough that where I grew up we had a R& B radio station where we as kids would hang around and listen to old blues .Then the 60's came along and I was hooked forever on the Haight Ashbury and Golden Gate park scene the music that came out of the Bay Area was the greatest of all time. Jefferson Airplane,Dead,my favorite Moby Grape, Chambers Brothers,Beautiful Day and those will and are some of my best memories.Days on the Green in the 70's ,8 Rolling Stones concerts and I saw some of the most amazing shows ever . At 68 years old still play bass and love my old time Rock and Roll

13. gvbassman

gvbassman Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Grass Valley,Ca.
    A list of venues that were hot in the 60's 70's .Filmore West,Winterland,Carousel Ballroom, Family Dog at Playland at the Beach all in San Francisco back in the day !

14. I never realized Carl Palmer came from The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown and played in Atomic Rooster.

15. Good stuff, I've never heard it before that I can remember.

SoulReflection and Stugilliam like this.
  16. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Welcome to "The Club" @gvbassman! Please feel free to post some of your favorites and comment on our member's posts. We are here to celebrate the era of the '60's Bassists. We like pics and any tunes you have done or currently doing...

17. Ever hear of the Boston Tea Party?

SoulReflection likes this.
  18. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Every once in a while I come back to this song which came out in 1969. Dean Ford teamed up with Joe Tansin to re-record this song. This is one of those perfect songs.

Dean died a couple of years ago at 73 from parkinson's disease.

Last edited: May 3, 2021

19. Wow, he really kept his voice in order.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  20. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    So beautiful...so sad.

bobyoung53 and beans-on-toast like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021