1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists of the '60's Club.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SoulReflection, Apr 16, 2020.

1. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Great song, great band. Love how you tamed the tempo after the bridge. Great bass work!

SoulReflection likes this.

2. Thanks, that was always my favorite in that band. I just followed the drummer, the singer, Charlie Dougherty, was a good songwriter, there's several more of his on that CD that I managed to transfer to my computer. We almost got back together a couple of years ago but everyone is scattered all over the place, Charlie is in Tennessee and his wife wouldn't let him do it.

SoulReflection likes this.
  3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Guess you’ll just need to plan a trip to Tennessee ;). ...drummer had a nice touch too.

bobyoung53 and SoulReflection like this.

4. He was a great drummer, his son is well known now, Josh Dion, 'Paris Monster' check him out on youtube. Not really my kind of music but he play keyboards, sings and drums at the same time with a bass player..

SoulReflection and TomB like this.
  5. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Just having fun with backing tracks and DAW today. Recorded this one as a '60's bassist with a P...sorry if it's not note for note, IDC:

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 9:04 PM
    TomB, bobyoung53 and gvbassman like this.

6. Turn that thing up! :D

SoulReflection and TomB like this.
  7. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    :thumbsup:

bobyoung53 and SoulReflection like this.
  8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Yeah man, don’t be shy! :)

bobyoung53 likes this.
  9. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Sorry, that was the take I did for my wife. She said I was too loud on the first one :rolleyes:.

10. Two rules to live by for bass players:

1. Bass is NEVER too loud

2. If someone tells you you are too loud, see rule #1. :laugh:

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 10:38 AM
  11. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    So, I take it you will pay for my divorce :cool:.

12. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    ...headphones :D

That’s the stuff I use.

PS: ...married 43 years so far

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 12:38 PM
    SoulReflection and gvbassman like this.
  13. gvbassman

gvbassman Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Grass Valley,Ca.
    ng53, post: 25229434, member: 46028"]Good stuff, I've never heard it before that I can remember.[/QUOTE]

Oblivivion Express was a killer a
    I am very lucky my wife is deaf and she can't here bass !

14. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal

Oblivivion Express was a killer a

I am very lucky my wife is deaf and she can't here bass ![/QUOTE]

I am the deaf one in this marriage! Headphones are difficult because I can't use them with hearing aids. Without hearing aids, I have yet to find headphones that will handle my required volume. I can "tap into" my hearing aids but the drivers can't handle the bass's direct frequencies so, here I am playing thru a pair of monitors (about 12" in front of me). I walk a fine line between turning up the volume and getting "busted" ;).

PS. 32 years for us and my lack of hearing could be a contributing factor :laugh::bassist:.

15. gvbassman

Jun 15, 2019
    Grass Valley,Ca.
    I am the deaf one in this marriage! Headphones are difficult because I can't use them with hearing aids. Without hearing aids, I have yet to find headphones that will handle my required volume. I can "tap into" my hearing aids but the drivers can't handle the bass's direct frequencies so, here I am playing thru a pair of monitors (about 12" in front of me). I walk a fine line between turning up the volume and getting "busted" ;).

PS. 32 years for us and my lack of hearing could be a contributing factor :laugh::bassist:.[/QUOTE]
    My hearing isn't so good either after listening and playing music since the 60's ,especially after playing in a Dead tribute band RIP Jerry

TomB, SoulReflection and bobyoung53 like this.

16. Bass doesn't bother mine, I can turn it up pretty much as loud as I want. I play in a room that is on the opposite side of the apartment though which is pretty long and these places are all cement out here so sound doesn't travel like it does in a wooden structure.

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 9:42 PM
    TomB, gvbassman and SoulReflection like this.
  17. My hearing isn't so good either after listening and playing music since the 60's ,especially after playing in a Dead tribute band RIP Jerry[/QUOTE]

There's something wrong with Talkbass as I have never played in a Dead Tribute band.

Try these, they can go louder than I can stand and have a bass boost button, with bluetooth.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB950BT-Extra-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00MCHE38O

gvbassman and SoulReflection like this.
  18. gvbassman

Jun 15, 2019
    Grass Valley,Ca.
    There's something wrong with Talkbass as I have never played in a Dead Tribute band.

Try these, they can go louder than I can stand and have a bass boost button, with bluetooth.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB950BT-Extra-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00MCHE38O[/QUOTE]
    Thank you for sharing !

bobyoung53 likes this.
  19. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB950BT-Extra-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00MCHE38O[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I know I am not the only one, but have a preference to hear and feel bass through speakers. My hearing aids allow for that but using head or earphones, on their own, isolates me from the outside world. May not make sense to some but those who have to wear hearing aids, and have adapted to them, would probably feel the same way.

If not, then they are just as crazy as I am :).

gvbassman and bobyoung53 like this.
  20. Thanks for that. I know I am not the only one, but have a preference to hear and feel bass through speakers. My hearing aids allow for that but using head or earphones, on their own, isolates me from the outside world. May not make sense to some but those who have to wear hearing aids, and have adapted to them, would probably feel the same way.

If not, then they are just as crazy as I am :).[/QUOTE]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I always play through speakers, I use the headphones for the computer unless I'm playing to youtube or something like that then I used both the computer speakers and my amp's speakers.

Yup, Talkbass is having another problem today.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021