Bassists of the '60's Club.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SoulReflection, Apr 16, 2020.

1. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Good stuff. Problem for me? I never liked The Doors so I never paid them any more attention than was "forced" on me by air(over)play-IMO.

SoulReflection and Son of Wobble like this.

2. I played in a few when country music was still popular in Mass and when it was still country music. The last one was about 20 years ago. To me if the band is good it doesn't really matter too much what kind of music it does, probably similar to you.

SoulReflection likes this.
  3. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Verdad! I played in a "Chicago" band(we had copies of their original 1st album charts). We were really good-and tight. No one wanted to pay for 7 guys. And with 7 personalities, it didn't last very long. If we'd been working for decent $, who knows.

SoulReflection and bobyoung53 like this.

4. I would have liked that, I love early Chicago and really like Cetera's style and playing. It would have been quite a pick workout for me.

5. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I had no idea he used pick so my fingers got a workout. This was in 69-70 when they(fingers) worked better.
    We also did some BS&T, and a coupla Beatles(Got to Get You In To My Life, etc,). Helluva fun band(sigh).

SoulReflection and bobyoung53 like this.

6. He was really fast, I always thought he was a great player with a really good sound.

7. purplehearted

purplehearted

Mar 27, 2020
    For anyone interested - I am in a 60s beat group called the Mocks (not a coverband).
    We did a live stream last sunday, which is now on youtube:

For all you bassnerds :) - I play a Framus 5/150 through a VOX AC50 (JMI) with a Vox Foundation cabinet.

bobyoung53, G-Dog, Stugilliam and 6 others like this.
  8. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Great video there @purplehearted, tell us about your group and yourself. You certainly have the equipment and looks of a '60's group :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

SubHuman, RodRy and BassikBrad like this.
  9. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    :thumbsup: Love the bass tone.

SubHuman, J R Knots, RodRy and 2 others like this.
  10. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Pretty dang cool group! I would love to be in a band like this. Frankly, I was surprised to see such a young group of guys playing this music.
    :thumbsup:

11. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal

TheMaartian, TomB, Rich48 and 3 others like this.

12. GREAT player and I never knew he was here. I love his lines in the break, I've played to The Doors while playing here and there, I've actually learned this tune pretty close to the record, I'll practice to Youtube sometimes since being locked in due to Covid. I've read that he used an EKO beatle Bass for a lot of this stuff but I've seen pictures of him with them in the studio with a P bass though. His playing was one of the reasons I became a big Doors fan.

SoulReflection and Son of Wobble like this.

13. Very good stuff, I assume you're in Amsterdam? Framus basses are one bass I've never seen in person in my life. Of course I remember them from Bill Wyman. I always liked Bill's sound.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  14. pocket_groover

pocket_groover Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    One of the few videos with Jamerson playing live. Looks like he's plugged into a Fender Showman silverface (Dual?) Good stuff. Great bass-lines.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  15. purplehearted

purplehearted

Mar 27, 2020
    Thank you so much! I am not the type that yammers on talking about myself, but since you are asking... :)
    So about the group and I:
    We got together as a group about two years ago with a shared interest of 60s beat music. I write most of the material and we arrange it in the rehearsal room. 90% of the groups we love were playing on Vox equipment (the Searchers, the Hollies, Gerry & the Pacemakers, the Beatles (early)), and the look is unparalled if you ask me. So we decided to go full VOX (actually the official Vox instagram made a post about us recently!!), for small gigs we even have the Vox Grenadier speaker columns!
    We want to bring back the great sounds of the 60s beat, characterized by great songwriting, strong harmonies and no use of effects / autotune which modern music is full of...

We hope when the covid rules become less rigid, we'll be able to tour a bit. We are living near Amsterdam but we want to tour Europe and whenever possible in the future, the US too. If you have any recommendations for festivals etc let me know please! Also if you know other young grups that play this kind of music, because they don't seem to exist anymore hehehe

Soon (end of June) we'll be releasing our first 7inch (yup vinyl!!), see artwork below:

Hope this is a clear and brief introduction. Of course the 7inch can be ordered, it will probably be about 13 euro incl worldwide shipping.

Attached Files:

16. purplehearted

purplehearted

Mar 27, 2020
    Yeah we live near Amsterdam! Yup, not a lot of bassists that play one! Bill Wyman is probably the most famous example indeed. Every now and then I see a Framus bass pop up for sale here, but I've never seen anyone play it on stage... I would like to have a Epiphone Rivoli someday, the one with the black/brown pickup. They are impossible to find hehehe

17. purplehearted

purplehearted

Mar 27, 2020
    Thanks a lot!! Yeah I feel blessed to have met these musicians with the same love for this music. It seems like we are an extinct species :laugh:

RodRy, SoulReflection and G-Dog like this.
  18. purplehearted

purplehearted

Mar 27, 2020
    Thanks!! It could use a bit more volume and push if you ask me, but it was mixed live so I think the sound guy did pretty well :thumbsup:

RodRy, SoulReflection and G-Dog like this.
  19. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    What a great idea and project you have there! Good luck and see you on stage :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

RodRy, Stugilliam and Jurassic Thump like this.
  20. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I had one just like it back then and sold it :jawdrop::
    01-EKO-997.jpg

RodRy, BassikBrad, bobyoung53 and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021