Bassists on DVD/Video

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rhythmbug, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    I'm looking for some video footage to use as a learning aid / general interest. I've just ordered the jaco dvd but wondering what else is out there that people have found good value in.
    I recently got the flea dvd but there was a bit too much rambling IMO.

2. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    John Patittucci, has a few really great video's.
    John Myung "progressive bass concepts is good.
    Jeff Berlin has a good one out. " can't remember the name"
    Beaver Felton has alot of video's that are great & informative ... you can get those from basscentral.
    You also might want to look into music dojo.
    Peace & goodluck
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sorry to be a buzzkill,

but there's just NO subsitute for a good teacher, no matter how many DVD's you own. trust me, i tried. :rollno:
  4. kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    He never said anything about substituting for a teacher, though whether that's the case here I don't know. There's no denying the fact that some good vids are an excellent supplement to a good teacher however.

Anyhow, Victor Wooten's bass solo technique is good stuff.
  5. wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I watched Flea's DVD called Adventures in Spontaneous Jamming and Techniques. It's not too bad, but focuses mainly on Flea's philosophy when it comes to jamming and improv. It has a fair bit of improv. on it with a drummer. If you're after an instructional DVD, it's no good, but an interesting watch otherwise.
  6. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check out;
    Rocco Prestia Fingerstyle Funk
    Norm Stockton Groovin for Heaven Series
    and a teacher is always a good idea.
  7. Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    thanks guys will check some of those out.

Yeah the spontaneous adventures flea dvd was the one I was talking was a bit of a joke, you could tell he wasn't taking it very seriously!

re teacher - actually I just went to see a music teacher last nite for the first time in years. He wasn't a flash player but seems to have a good grasp of rhythm and fundamentals which I'm sure will help make my playing more solid and precise.
    But personally I've had a bitch of a time trying to find bass teachers in my area, they don't seem to advertise anywhere and half the time its just a guitarist that plays bass on the side or a guy that's not much better than me anyway!

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Louis Johnson
    Victor Wooten - Live @ Bass Day '98
    George Duke - Live in Tokyo (Louis Johnson on bass....amazing!!)
    Alexis Sklarevski - Slap bass program
    Marcus Miller - In Concert

These are some of my favorite bass dvd's......great motivators!!!
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The Norm Stockton series is a good informative DVD. A video won't replace a teacher, but as a old guy that didn't grow up with videos, I dig bass videos! Same with concert videos, they won't take the place of being at a concert......but at 3:00AM and you can't sleep, they are pretty cool!
  10. Victor Wooten - Live, BassDay '98. Simply Amazing.

Jaco Pastorius - Instructional (Modern Electric Bass), and get ANYTHING else you can by him. Check for a few live DVDs. They're hard to find, but worth the money.
  11. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Anything by Ed Friedland is assurdely a "good read". On top of that, he's got a levelized approach with several vids out that will allow you to tailor to you individual needs.

I've got the his Slap Bass DVD and I much prefer it over the highly-acclaimed and very hard to find Alexis Sklarevski video (just sold mine recently).

12. the Bill Dickens Collection(both of his VHS's in one DVD)

Bass Extremes:Live

Juan Alderete(instrucional it's nothing special, but the performances are amazing)SCARIFIED!!!!!!!

i recently just got Brian Bromberg, Oskar Cartaya, and Steve Bailey videos but i haven't had a chance to watch them yet.
  13. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Absolutely, blew me away! they show some great stuff on that video.

Also check out

Rocco prestia live at bass day 98
    Carter Beauford & Victor wooten Making music.