1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists vs. All Other Instrumentalists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jake, May 20, 2011.

1. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I am working on a compare and contrast essay for the college writing class I'm currently enrolled in. I was hope you nice folks at TB could give me some ideas.

What makes bassists different than all other instrumentalists?

What makes bassists superior to all other instrumentalists?

Any good musician jokes that would apply?

Thanks,
    JN

2. basstoven

basstoven

Nov 20, 2008
    Buffalo, ny
    The bassist's role is to provide rhythem for the band or ensemble. At the same time he provides the harmonic foundation. This is different than lead instrumentalists like guitarist and horn players. The bass provides countermelodic lines to be played over melodies. This role is similar to that of a tuba player, bass saxophonist, and the left hand of a pianist/keyboardist. I would avoid saying that bassists are superior because that is an opinion and would be difficult to prove by facts. Just keep your essay short and to the point and include citation.

3. drewsky2004

drewsky2004

Dec 29, 2010
    Or you could rephrase the question to, what makes bass a favorable instrument compared to others?

In that case, I would say that to me bass is favorable because it is a universal instrument. It is played with nearly all types of music, whereas other instruments tend to stay in one genre. That and I just love the sound and love how expressive it is.

4. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Duplicate thread?