Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassists who are actually Great Songwriters???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Mar 4, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    After my stoopid bass songwriters post, i thought i make the world of TB a better, brighter place by askin' who's a great killer bassist with songwriting chops???

for me, that'd be:

Meshell N'degoCello.
    can you get any cooler?

Stuart Zender.
    Of course, he's the slapless funk god, but he's got more pop songwriting credits than i got cheerios in my morning bowl.

Sting.
    sure, he aint a killer funker, but ya gotta admit, the guy can write a great song.

Ron Carter.
    OMG!!! that's all i can say. i just picked up "Telephone/Telepathy" album with Jim Hall. Holy crap! Like i always say, he'll cut a groove deeper than the grand canyon and fill every inch with soul.

2. -Charles Mingus
    -Jaco Pastorius (don't tell me that "Continuum," "Portrait of Tracy," or "Havona" are cheesy)
    -Paul McCartney
    -John Paul Jones (wrote half of Zeppelin's riffs)
    -Steve Harris (lame lyrics, monster riffs)
    -Walter Becker of Steely Dan (while a guitarist primarily, he plays some pretty wicked stuff on bass, and he and Fagen are perhaps the greatest songwriters after Lennon/McCartney)

3. Hey, wait a minute.. he´s not slapless.. But yeah, he´s great.. I love his basslines in the first two jamiroquai´s albums, he had a very important role in Jamiroquai. Their song are very different now and it has to do a lot with is departure.

4. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i gotta mention my boys Miles and Kyle from Slightly Stoopid... they both play bass, guitar, and sing AND write killer songs.... although i expect zero people here to know who i'm talking about :)

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Doug Pinnick of King's X - 'nuff said.

Geddy of course too.

6. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Too an extent all bass players are songwriters...I mean those anybody hand you a bass line? Nope you write using chord sheets, or at least I do....anyways I'm gonna throw Marcus Miller in there cuz he is a major producer and you know producers always add alot to a song...I think that counts as songwriting...I think I write music well too, but I only write piano songs though...don't think I'll become famous anytime soon for piano ballads with a rock twist...

7. bass_player_cd

bass_player_cd terminated.

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    originally posted by peter mcferrin.

I love maidens lyrics!! How can you think that there lame? I call em maidens lyrics instead of harris lyrics because pretty much all of the songs were written by steve. I think they have alot of meaning when you dig deep into them.

cliff burton also had great lyrics. That is, when he added his in, they were great.

8. Peter Cetera
    Greg Lake

9. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Robert Deleo-STP
    Roger Waters-Pink Floyd

10. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    2 votes for Roger Waters

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Grossy,

Peter Cetera of Chicago was a bassist??? learn somethin' new everyday.

static,

omg, how could i forget Robert Deleo?!? out of all the rock bassists out there, he's a true fav. and YES, he's got amazing songwriting chops. if he had a voice, he could easily go solo. i remember reading a g***** player article where he explained that "Interstate Love Song" actually started out as a bossa!

12. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i know a guitarist that i've attempted to jam with who always tried to hand me basslines. these lines were so convoluted and just plain bad. trying to cut a groove with them was like trying to cut down an oak tree with a butter knife...not gonna happen. yet he insisted that his lines were better than anything i could right.

so of course i had to give him the boot

anyway, to answer you question, i have to agree with Sir Paul, and JPJ. i might even venture to say Cliff Burton, but i'm not a real big metallica fan...but he had some good things going on.

-jimbo

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You're kidding, right? ;)
    IF NOT-
    You owe it to yourself to check out, at the very least, Chicago's first 3 albums.
    Cetera, simply put...jams.
    The debut album-
    He plays a nice, melodic line on "Beginnings", then launchses into a Latin-esque improv.
    "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is"?...nice shuffle groove + a couple of 5/8 bars thrown in.
    "Questions 67 & 68"...Rocks.

"Free" from the 3rd album(I think)...Cetera begins with a double-stopped/power chord intro, goes into some 1/16th note Rocco pattern, then does his Jamerson impression on the verses. All this is the tune's first 2 minutes!

Cetera is a "Jazz" oriented/influenced player.
    Way back when I first got interested in Jazz, I was looking through my older cousin's DownBeat...it was their "Winners' Poll" issue. In the "Best Bass" category, the only name I recognized was Cetera's(the rest were the names that I would come to know & admire)...anyway, I was confused. Cetera?! My cousin got me really into listening to Chicago. They cooked back then.

...& because I yapped about Cetera, just watch Mama Cass 'close the thread'! ;)

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    And I'm probably wasting my breath-

Dave Holland
    Ben Allsion
    William Parker
    John Lindberg

15. Sting and Sir Paul McCartney were the ones that came to my mind.

Sting is one of the best lyricists in pop. Too bad he's lamed out over the years.

As for Geddy Lee... well I think Neil Peart did the lyrics to the songs although of COURSE all the superb basslines were "Made In Geddyland".

16. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    PAUL McCARTNEY

Enough said. Also, Juan Nelson form the innocent criminals and Billy Sheehan? Sweet.

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Jim, i'm convinced that you own more albums that anyone on earth.

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Steve Swallow!
    Aloha, Jerry

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Brian Wilson.

20. Fat Mike - Nofx (awsome Riffs)