Bassists who are as popular after they went Solo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kiwlm, Jan 20, 2005.

1. I could only think of Jaco and Sting.

JPJ - nope
    McCartney - nope
    Jack Bruce - nope

Seems that after the "popular bassists" went solo, they did more of other instruments, and does that put off the original bassist followers?

Does it re-assert the importance for a bassist to belong to a great band? We have seen lots of guitarist who are as popular or more popular after they went solo, but rarely bassists.
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Marcus Miller
    Victor Wooten (although this is debateable)
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Larry Graham - also could be debated.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree Graham was the first I thought of prior to actually opening this thread.
    I mean, c'mon, how many people even knew Graham's name when he was in the Family Stone?

I don't believe McCartney's stock dropped after he went solo, either.

Do you want to limit this only to "Pop" or "popular"(i.e. among fellow bass players) bassists?
    "Popular" would probably include the many Jazz bassists that went 'solo', too; I could then cite guys like Mingus, Paul Chambers, etc.
    Current guys would be Dave Holland, Ben Allison, William Parker, John Lindberg, etc.
    Some electric guys would be Gary Willis, Alain Caron, Brian Bromberg, Gerald Veasley, Jeff Berlin, Mark Egan, etc.
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How do you measure "popular"? More importantly, what does it matter? Fame seems pretty fickle and not entirely related to talent. I'm not saying that any of the bassists mentioned aren't talented but I'm sure there are plenty of amazing players I've never heard of.

6. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    What about Stanley Clarke and Jeff Berlin???
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Steve Winwood (or was it Jim Cipaldi) - played everything but the wind instruments on the old Traffic albums.

Lony Levin is still a very popular session player I would imagine.

Never listened to the Dead, but what about Phil Lesh.
  8. Freeloader

Dec 30, 2004
    among the newer people, MATT GARRISON?
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Peter Cetera?
  10. Yeah, but do they beatbox?
  11. Well, Lemmy was originally with Hawkwind. I know he's a member of Motorhead, but that's essentially a solo project. So how about Lemmy?
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As for Graham, I was thinking about his GCS stuff vs. his "One In a Million" (ugh!) period. sorry, I hated that song!
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Bootsy became far more famous after leaving James Brown, but it seems to be more of his personality than his playing that he's known for.
  14. swampash

Dec 13, 2004
    Les Claypool - he's bigger than he ever was in Primus to say the least! And, Les does his thing so well, but if you want to hear him choke watch the Gov't Mules' 'Deepest End' his performace shows how versatile he is outside his own box, I felt bad for the band trying to keep the groove going on the song he played! :D
  15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    How about Mike Gordon? In case you've been living under a rock for the last 20 years, he had one of the biggest gigs of all time. Since then he's toured with his own band and put out a cd of his own (or 3 if you count Outside Out and Bain/Joey Arkenstat). Lately he's been doing a lot of sitting in with different bands and he's been playing with one of the hottest bands out there - The Duo. What will he do next - besides more movies?
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I knew what you were talking about.
    Be careful, though, there is(was?) someone at this site that actually liked "One In A Million You"...I said I thought it was 100% schmaltz & the guy totally flamed me. LMAO.

Peter Cetera post-Chicago? I guess more women liked him during his solo career(I would doubt they knew he even played bass in Chicago). I'm not sure Cetera even played bass during his solo daze.
  17. I for example never heard of Marc Johnson until he released his own albums (Bass Desires was first I heard).
  18. Brad Smith of Blind Melon......ok maybe not, but Abandon Jalopy(his solo album) still kicks a**.