Bassists who are lefties who play righty club.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Novanglus

Novanglus

Apr 12, 2018
    Sign me up, please. Lefty in most things...righty for batting and hockey. Got my first bass in the '70's and only righty models were available...so, yeah. Both of my daughters picked up toy guitars lefty, but we had them learn righty too.

2. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Ditto everything you said.

During my brief stint selling instruments, I typically encouraged lefties to play standard. It's a two handed instrument and when you start, EVERYTHING feels weird. Why limit yourself to a lifetime of paying slightly more, and having WAY fewer choices?

3. So I have to share a story about a left-handed guitarist I was in a band with in college. When he learned to play guitar he was taught right-handed - and that was how he played guitar. However, when he would play AIR guitar he played lefty. I questioned him about it and his response was that he had started playing air guitar before he ever played real guitar. Interestingly, his right-handed guitar playing was smooth and fluid, but his left-handed air guitar played always looked awkward.

Whatever.

-DBB

4. Who else is left handed but plays bass righty?[/QUOTE]
    I've written left-handed since age 4 & played left-handed & right handed tubas without noticing for years! I generally do fine movement stuff left handed & strength related right handed (throw). Started bass left handed, but retaught myself right handed to make it easier to follow others/lessons. I CANNOT play left handed at all now, with either a right or left handed bass.

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My son, he's lefty. He's in 7th and his 2nd year on bass, playing it righty.
    When I was a kid in school bands all those lefty kids learned to play righty instruments because that's all there was. So I knew the gear aspect would be much easier for him playing righty.

6. wenbv

wenbv

Dec 16, 2017
    i know this is is a very old thread, any newer versions of it? I was forced to play violin as a kid so early on i got accustomed to my dominant hand doing the fret side of things. When I moved to bass i used a pick a lot because i couldn't get my right hand to do anything. Eventually I decided to learn a little classical guitar and folk just so I could get better at using my right hand better. Once when I was interested in learning to play flamenco guitar from a real honorary gypsy , he refused to teach me until i switched to a lefty guitar. Turns out "chops" are more a consequence of the picking hand than the fret hand...and forget tapping. In any case all that finger picking has paid off over time but it takes me a lot longer to learn a right hand technique than a rightie. I was at one of Victor Wooten's camps and he was downright perplexed at how clumsy i was trying to learn his double thumb technique while everyone around me was on it . Been working on it for weeks now and i still can't do thump down and stop at next string, pluck high note with index and then thump upwards with thumb to previous string. He says it's just like using a pick. So there are definitely some significant limitations at least initially. My right hand will always feel like a stranger's hand to some extent.

Papageno, Jon Lars, El Thumpo and 2 others like this.
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Did you tell Vic that you're a Lefty playing Righty?

Element Zero likes this.
  8. Snap!

I only write with my left hand - everything else I do right handed.

9. pachoate

pachoate

Sep 17, 2007
    Beaumont, Texas
    I only write with my left hand - everything else I do right handed.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I'm in.

I tried playing left handed and found it more uncomfortable than playing right handed. I figure my stronger hand is better for fretting versus plucking.

11. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thanks for reviving this thread. How did I miss it during all these years of TB?

I’m left-handed in all things, EXCEPT when it comes to the bass and guitar. Was never an option for me to get those fancified left-handed models, so I learned to play what was on hand. Can I get a number, please?

12. Well obviously I've taken kind of, you know....a break in attending to my duties as club secretary. There's really no excuse. Thanks to you TB members who have taken up the slack.

And without further ado, welcome the new members of Bassists Who Are Lefty Who Play Righty Club:

#419: jhb138;
    #420: Milo Spleen;
    #421: LYNCHMAN;
    #422: JKos;
    #423: Novanglus;
    #424: GreyEagle;
    #425: wenbv;
    #426: James P;
    #427: Mike N;
    #428: El Thumpo.

And spread the word.

Mister Fabulous,
    Club Secretary

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    El Thumpo likes this.
  13. I've written left-handed since age 4 & played left-handed & right handed tubas without noticing for years! I generally do fine movement stuff left handed & strength related right handed (throw). Started bass left handed, but retaught myself right handed to make it easier to follow others/lessons. I CANNOT play left handed at all now, with either a right or left handed bass.[/QUOTE]

See above for your member numbers.

And Welcome.

Mister Fabulous,
    Club Secretary

James P likes this.
  14. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Me, too. Write and throw a frisbee lefty. Bass righty. Not sure exactly what we left handed sellouts are uniting behind here but count me in!

15. Dave814

Dave814

Aug 23, 2013
    Central PA
    Yeah, me too. When I started playing it was on a friend’s Hofner copycat bass. I swapped things around to play it lefty but my teacher said to swap it back so I learned to play righthanded. I also grew up playing baseball righthanded (hand-me-down mitt). Everything else I’m left handed.

16. True!

Count me in. :)

17. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    All of what you describe is the same here.
    I think many left handed people are partially or fully ambidextrous.
    For me:
    All small motor skills things are lefty, larger motor skills seem to go righty.
    Most tools for work I can use with both hands equally, hammer, screwdriver, etc.
    Throwing and kicking for sports is righty.
    Swing a bat righty, swing a golf club righty.
    Boxing and Karate righty.
    Snowboarding and skateboarding is regular foot not goofy foot.
    Ping Pong and shooting pool is lefty.
    Shoot a shotgun righty.

Guitar/Bass went righty for me because my first guitar teacher was an older man who said guitar is a two handed instrument and lefty is no such thing, he would only teach me righty.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  18. Before I started on bass, I played viola. Everyone holds their viola (or violin) with their left hand because bowing in different directions is impractical in a string orchestra.

Then I went to bass guitar and it seemed natural to just keep my left hand at the neck.

19. SacRush

SacRush Supporting Member

Finally, a place I belong - within a place I am beginning to belong (TB).
    I share a similar story with most everyone. I write left handed, throw and shoot lefty but do all my other chores in life like a righty. Better than my older brother, who was born a lefty and had my parents tie his left hand behind his back so he would be forced to be a righty. Weird Southern/Religious thing.

Give me a number, please @MisterFabulous , so I can feel at home with my (lefty playing righty) brothers/sisters!

McG and 12BitSlab like this.
  20. pachoate

pachoate

Sep 17, 2007
    Beaumont, Texas
    Can I get a number? I only write with my left hand - everything else I do right handed.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021