Bassists who are lefties who play righty club.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Aug 5, 2010.

1. See above for your member number.

2. Hey thanks for asking. I had some concerns about going into work back in March. Work kinda solved that by closing four days after I was last there. It was a part-time job, we don't rely on my income luckily.

I thought I'd be a much better bass player by this time! And I also bought a harmonica! Haven't played the harmonica yet, but I've got a lesson book. I'm gonna try it.

What has helped bass-wise is learning a bunch of songs on YouTube and also recording on the laptop.

You think you're a good player until you record yourself. It has helped a lot.

Spectre1966 likes this.
  3. So... which way will you hold the harmonica? :)

In fact, I have a bunch of harmonicas. It was my main instrument for some years. And I always hold them "normally".

4. Ha, I've been holding it in my right hand (right hand on bottom). Good call!

I wanted to reach out to you anyway to say I'm going to use your signature first time I get a chance.

instrumentalist likes this.
  5. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I am lefty, but play righty.

Spectre1966 and bassbrad like this.
  6. -Shaun-

-Shaun-

Feb 10, 2018
    New Zealand
    I do everything left-handed, except play bass and guitar. I'm so clumsy with my right hand, I struggle to do even basic things.

7. Well, I can proudly say I've become adept at cutting my left hand finger nails.

-Shaun- likes this.
  8. -Shaun-

-Shaun-

Feb 10, 2018
    New Zealand
    Once, on a truly terrible first (and last) date when I switched my cutlery around, she noted that I was a lefty. I replied, "oh yeah, I do everything left-handed". She looked at me suggestively and said "everything?"

:speechless:

IamBuzzy and instrumentalist like this.
  9. Matthijs

Matthijs Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Because of a very righthanded regime at kindergarten this is the only thing I have a problem with doing lefthanded. They never managed to teach me to write and draw righthanded (and they tried), but scissors are right hand only to me. Thank god for nailclippers!

Spectre1966 and instrumentalist like this.
  10. aekisz

aekisz

Jul 4, 2006
    Pretty crazy how many of us there are. I just discovered this club but yeah, I am a solid lefty (left-footed, left dominant eye, left politics, left out) except for stringed instruments.

Lujon likes this.
  11. Lujon

Lujon

May 29, 2020
    I’m a lefty playing righty too! Really surprised at the numbers here, I wonder if it’s mostly due to availablity of instruments or what. I flipped the strings on my guitar when I was little, but was discouraged from playing it that way.

I wonder what the ratio is to lefties playing left-handed basses?

12. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

13. Not sure on availability, but the “test” according to the salesman when my mom asked if I needed a lefty Bass was to have me hold a bass. I instinctively held it righty, and bought a right-handed bass as a result.

14. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    I’m ambidextrous, but tend to wake up left-dominant a bit more often. In any case, guitar and writing (thanks, regressive 1980s elementary teaching pedagogy) are about the only things I do right-handed.

15. and Leon Gaer...

16. Rob Wagner

Rob Wagner

Jun 17, 2020
    Saudi Arabia
    Lefty in all things, except with my righty bass.

17. High time I joined this club! I do everything left-handed except bass/guitar playing. It always felt natural that way.

JKos and BillyB_from_LZ like this.
  18. That's because it is. :cool: :bassist:

JKos, BillyB_from_LZ and Bass Viking like this.
  19. Lillianna

Lillianna

Jan 13, 2021
    I'm a lefty playing righty too. So was my teacher.

12BitSlab likes this.
  20. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    I've been on talkbass over two years and never seen this club. I'm a lefty playing righty because of dyslexia. Not joking.

Lillianna likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021