Bassists who are lefties who play righty club.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Gregc57

Gregc57

May 28, 2021
    NY, USA
    I’m lefty in all things but guitar and bass. I have to work hard for right hand speed. Bass is a recent pickup for me and right finger independence is a struggle. I’m trying to not fingerpick it like a guitar, but I fall back on that often because it’s kind of natural at this point. I’ll get there……. I think.

timothy1207, Lillianna and 12BitSlab like this.
  2. mrperkolator

mrperkolator

Jan 4, 2020
    TX
    I'm not sure if I completely belong here. I am left hand dominant for some things, left eye dominant, but do many things with right. I suppose if I worked at it, I could use either hand, though it would be a challenge. I'm not really a lefty, righty, or ambidextrous (sounds weird to ad a y to that one...). I eat left, write left, play most sports right, play guitar right, etc. I used to use a mouse with left hand with ease. It really seems to depend on the activity. If that counts, does that get me a number?

Bass Man Stan and Lillianna like this.
  3. Robf

Robf Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Cool thread topic. I'm left handed but only for certain things, writing/eating is the most common. But I dj and scratch with my left while most others use their right (left hand on the turntable, right hand on the mixer). When I started playing bass, the translation of the hand positions made more sense on the right-handed bass since the technical work was done by the left hand (fretting/touching the vinyl).

Bass Man Stan likes this.
  4. Rob1957

Rob1957

Dec 3, 2020
    Left handed here but started playing bass as a righty in 1974 and never stopped

BillyB_from_LZ and Bass Man Stan like this.
  5. Lillianna

Lillianna

Jan 13, 2021
    started playing when I was 14, didn't know there were left handed guitars

Bass Man Stan, 12BitSlab and Rob1957 like this.
  6. It sounds like you are Cross dominant: Cross-dominance - Wikipedia

A good friend of mine has the same traits as you.

mrperkolator likes this.
  7. mrperkolator

mrperkolator

Jan 4, 2020
    TX
    Well :poop:. Here I thought I was a lefty all these years. Now I have to search TB for a "cross dominance club" :roflmao::roflmao::laugh:

Bill Risby likes this.
  8. mrperkolator

mrperkolator

Jan 4, 2020
    TX
    Did a search. Brought me back here.....:laugh::laugh::laugh::roflmao::roflmao:

9. I put a link in the previous post. Here it is: Cross-dominance - Wikipedia

10. mrperkolator

mrperkolator

Jan 4, 2020
    TX
    I meant I was searching TB for "Cross Dominance club" instead of this club which is lefties who play righty.

Separate note..... even though I'm apparently cross dominant, can I get a #?

11. I play and many things right handed but write, eat and anything requiring skill and control Left!!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021