1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassists who greatly improved

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Korladis, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Since there's a thread about bassists whose playing went downhill, how about a more positive thread about bassists who early in their careers were unimpressive but later did great things.

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'm not trying to bring back the "bassists who went downhill" thread, but I really can't think of any really improved ones off the top of my head.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Tough one, since those who have some pretty high standards for technique and/or evolved musical thought probably aspired to that early on, and gravitated toward other like-minded dedicated musicians and pretty much came out of the gate swinging. With guys like that you can look at any chapter of their career and it's all fairly devoid of filler, and plenty of evidence of exploration.

I suppose if you found some tapes of Gary Willis the first two days he ever played a bass when he was knee-high you might have room to say "That Willis! - he's really improved!" ; }

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Ben Kenney because he was a gui****.

Jared Followill, because he has 2.5 years experience, and plays like no other.

5. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    stephen lessard from dave matthews comes to mind. kinda weak at first. sounds great now.

6. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I have to totally agree and I am not even a fan of DMB. I was in VA while they were still regulars at Traxx in Charlotteville so I saw them a fair amount (whether I wanted to or not!). He definitely improved.

7. Paul Simonon (the Clash)
    although I didn't think much of his recent playing with The Good, the bad, the queen.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would say John Entwistle...not that he was ever a slouch, I just recall seeing the 9-11 concert in NYC & thought, "Wow, this guy's command has gotten even better".
    Compare him to some of his '60s counterparts.

And another-
    Victor Wooten. ;)
    Yes, Wooten. The 1st time I saw him was in 1975. That was a mind freak.
    Then came a long lapse of time...I next saw him just as the Flecktones' debut album hit ("Sinister Minister")...at this time, he sounded like two bassists.
    3-4 years go by & he's sounding like three bassists. Usually, with someone as good as he is...you just don't see that big improvement, there's usually a long plateau. Not in his case.

9. WhiskeyMan13

WhiskeyMan13

Mar 11, 2009
    +10000

10. Korladis

That's okay, your avatar is from Zardoz, which was hilarious.

11. Korladis

Wow... I guess some people are devoted to constant improvement.

12. fender_funk_man

fender_funk_man

Feb 19, 2009
    Jay Bentley is one of my personal faves. Started out not being able to play a note, almost 30 years later Bad Religion still kicks ass. He may not have done much in the way of ground breaking music, but on a personal basis he has become a well seasoned bassist.

13. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I think for a variety of reasons (better instruments, more freedom from record companies, 20 more years of experience) Michael Manring's playing on his current records sounds far superior (to me) than his earlier albums. Put his first three solo albums next to his most recent three, and it's like night and day.

14. 1FATDAD

1FATDAD

Jan 8, 2008
    Indiana
    (no i'm not kidding):bassist:

15. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Johnny Christ. Not that his old playing was bad, just that it got better.

16. Billy Sheehan. Seriously.

When he first broke out with David Lee Roth I thought he had hellacious chops but was harmonically a bit lacking and, after a while, tedious.

When I heard him years later with Niacin he's like a different player - still hellacious chops but with a much more interesting (to me) harmonic and melodic sense.

O.k. - I'm putting on my flame proof suit now...

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Better music. Hard not to play better in that group and with that drummer.

18. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I was going to give him as example too.He,too,states in his bass concepts video he was playing only octave stuff as fills etc. He then explaines how he learned the instrument on the stage in those years.Pretty cool to learn your instrument on the stage too.

19. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    John Myung has always been awesome, but he has improved greatly, plays way cleaner now, he's learning to pick, and well, I don't know, he jus sounds better now [not only because of the bass]

20. Steve Youth from 7Seconds