1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists who own coin op arcades club?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Popbumper, May 23, 2011.

1. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Fascinated by the myriad of "clubs" here and the hobbies that pervade the personal lives of so many. As one who spent many hours of my youth frequenting the arcades of yesteryear (not to mention enjoying the music that I now play as "classic rock"), I am now an adult who OWNS/plays/restores/collects pinball machines that I played in my youth.

I personally own 14 machines, none older than 1977, none newer than 1991. I have been in the hobby since 1998. On the side, I do pinball restorations and PCB repairs - and can thank the pinball hobby for the $$ it took to buy my G&L L-2000.

Not to dismiss those of classic arcade game interest (you know, PacMan, Dig Dug, Galaga, Burger Time, etc.), I am curious here who owns a dedicated coin-op arcade game of any type....pinball or video - that is FULL SIZE and would have been, at one time in it's life (unless bought new for the home) in an arcade.

This officially begins the list at #1.....can't imagine there are a LOT of folks here with full size coin operated machines, but you never know....this group has many ages.

Chris

2. Jean Baudin, a pretty much all round amazing bass player, I think has a pile of them.

Thats about all I have on the subject I'm afraid!

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I predict this will be the loneliest club at TB.

If you open it up to "or owned an Atari 2600." then you could count me as #2.

bc

4. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    My friend had one at one point. Nor sure what year it was from, but it was reasonably old, paper flip cards etc. The score never worked properly though.

It was themed "The Year 2000" and had a heap of cartoon people in latex suits riding odd shaped polygons like flying surfboards.

I have always wanted to pick one up, and probably will sooner or later. Although I think i'd rather get a commercial air-hockey table.

5. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, I believe you may be correct. Can't hurt trying, right?

OK!! How about "Bassists that own Ford Pintos"? That might get a better response.

Or not. :rollno:

Chris

6. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    That probably would have been a Gottlieb "2001" with the classic "pointy artwork" of Gordon Morrison. Pinball geek, out!

Chris

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've been looking for a reasonably priced non-trashed version of Galaga / Galaxian for a long while, stand up OR table top head to head....no avail. I just might build my own cabinet, order the graphics and run an emulator / lcd screen pack. I love them old arcade games...my friend "BoBo" (his name is Bob) has a whole arcade in his basement, it's awesome.

8. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I used to own a Pichinko machine. It was great fun. It still might be in my moms garage.

I used to play the Adams Family machine alot in the arcade.

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Growing up, we had a coin-op pinball machine...I think it was Magic? :confused: Digital display, I'm pretty sure it was blue. I haven't played pinball in years!

I had one of those! Technically, I had the compatible Sears version. It's crazy how much videos games have progressed!

10. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Hah! I just googled it and thats actually the one. Found a picture (someone elses):

2001_1.

11. I had a buddy who lucked out and picked up a couple arcade machines for free off craigslist.
    One was one of those old top down racers with steering wheels for 4 players.
    The other was a first person racer (in the drivers seat pov) that was pretty cool, it had gas, brake and clutch pedal for the 5 speed transmission, but if you crashed or something the steering wheel would jerk so hard I'm surprised the makers never got sued for broken wrists.

I myself have always wanted some sort of fighting game cabinet, street fighter prefered but any would be cool. I've been playing alot of Marvel vs Capcom 3 on my Xbox 360 and have been seriously pondering getting an arcade style fight stick, when you play online you know who uses them cause they'll be sooooo d@mn fast!

Coolest arcade style experience for me though is when my pop-warner football team went to national championships in Las Vegas and our hotel had a Marvel vs Capcom 2 machine in the lobby, the holy grail of arcade fighters. What I would do for another few rounds on that cabinet...

12. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I have a stand-up Atari Tempest machine.

13. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    galaga | eBay

or get a MAME setup

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've got a pacman table with a plastic top. Its scratched to **** but it still works perfectly, but honestly its more a conversation piece than anything.

I got it for $100 at a yard sale.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have MAME on my PC with about 4,000 games. Hours and hours and hours of fun.

-Mike

16. I want to own a few when I'm older. It's pretty likely that that newer versions of what I want now will be out the but if I could get my hands on, say, three right now they would be OutRun 2, Time Crisis 4, and Dance Dance Revolution Extreme 2, all two player versions. I did a quick price check and each one looks like it's around $6000 which isn't as bad as I thought, lol. I better start saving up though :D.

17. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Probably a Stern "Magic" pinball, circa 1978/79. Fun game. For those not in the know, Stern IS the ONLY remaining pinball manufacturer on the planet, where there used to be near a dozen back in the 50's. My, the digital age has changed so much - few if any kids today understand the "analog experience" of games.

...which is why playing an instrument is SO cool. It is and will always be a hand-held, analog experience.

Chris

18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    magic_pinball_1.

Stern Magic. That was it! You're good! :D

I wonder what happened to that machine.

19. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY