1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassists who prefer bass to guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Luke S Mouse, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Jun 5, 2009
    Texas
    Perhaps this is the wrong forum, I apologize in advance. Anyway, as of late I've been playing a lot of guitar just out of sheer boredom and the fact that I really don't want to lug my bass to college with me. However, when I come home, I just feel immediate comfort with my bass. It seems more comfortable, I'm able to work dynamics easier on bass than with guitar. Anyone have a similar deal with guitars?

2. Lol not to sound like a smartass or anything. But you are on a bass forum :)

3. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Jun 5, 2009
    Texas
    I know. XD

4. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Jun 5, 2009
    Texas
    There's gotta be some freaky multi instrumentalist guys around here somewhere.

5. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Aye. My basses get most of the play. My guitar, however, has taken up the task of dust collector. It gives my dust pan a break. :)

6. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    I usually carry around a baritone ukelele tuned CGDA instead of a bass, but when I come home it's nothing but bass all the time

7. PostFusion

PostFusion

Aug 2, 2012
    I've been playing quite a bit of guitar. I've been playing a Gibson J200 for the past while, and before that a classical guitar.
    I wanted to move on to 12-string, which I can also play well, but after playing a bass and getting more into their sound, I can say I do prefer bass. It feels so much cooler in your hands, and I just find them a lot more fun to play, and much cooler sounding.

8. I can't say guitar has ever been as exciting or motivating as a bass to me. Basses just feel right.

9. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I played keys with some enthusiasm (Albeit badly)... now I use it for some theory chord stuff... playing bass is deep, both in the satisfaction I feel and the sounds I generate :D

10. PatQ

PatQ

May 11, 2011
    Siegburg, Germany
    I'm currently playing more drums on my E-Drum... I rarely touch my guitar.

11. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ha! I got an offer to play guitar in an excellent working band yesterday. Turned it down because I'm a hobbyist at best, and putting in the guitar time needed to take the post didn't sound appealing..

I'd jump right in to the bass spot.

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I play acoustic guitar, and I spend every bit as much time on it as I do bass. Both are fairly equal for me. They are certainly two different things! I can't imagine life without either one.

13. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    Did guitar for about 30 years, but just felt that I hit a point where I took it as far as I could. If I'm not growing or evolving as a musician, I lose interest. So I ditched the guitar a few years ago, and took up the violin. Tons of fun and my teacher was a red headed version of Anne Hathaway!. But that got way too expensive. I heard Jaco for the first time and said "that's for me". So here I am.

14. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I started off playing guitar actually, but now I prefer bass, all though I still play a little guitar.

15. SteveHWarner

SteveHWarner

Aug 3, 2012
    Like mellowinman, I play acoustic guitar just as much as bass these days. Started off just playing bass about 10 years ago and then within the last few years got into solo acoustic stuff. You just feel most comfortable with whatever instrument you've spent the most time with.

16. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    I play my guitar at times, but it feels weird to play after mainly playing bass, I'm not use to the string spacing, and what's this thing with playing more than one string at a time! ;)

For some reason I feel power in the notes when playing bass, I don't feel that when playing the guitar. :meh:

17. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I started out on guitar in 1970, but once I got into bass playing (tentatively at first, in 1981, then seriously over the last 15 years) I find that guitar playing doesn't give me the satisfaction that bass playing does. I still play electric guitar and Dobro from time to time, but not as a regular thing, rather, only when requested -- and as we all know, bass is in higher demand that guitar!

I get more deeply into the music with bass, it seems like. Guitar feels like it's all about riffs and stringing together leads, while bass requires understanding the music. I just got the sheet music for Dream a Little Dream of Me and Over the Rainbow for a current project, and I'm looking forward to digging into those piano bass lines with my P.:bassist:

18. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is it your bass you don't want to lug, or your amp? I don't see that a bass is really such a big deal to haul. How about getting an acoustic bass guitar? They don't get enough volume to gig without amplification, but they work fine for jamming in your dorm room. Or, get a headphone amp or something.

19. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I've been a guitar player since 1963. And I played some bass back then, too, beginning around 1965, but I didn't have one myself. Played guitar professionally for a number of years. Started playing full-time electric bass in 1988 (although I studied upright in college and played with a philharmonic for six years, '76-'82) and never looked back. I don't play much guitar these days. I've been in love with bass for so long.

20. I feel most at home on my ukulele

public_category_header_ukulele.