1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bassists who use guitar heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cheechi, Nov 28, 2017.

1. I've been interested for a long time in how different bass sounds are made over the years, in my favourite recordings as well as when I hear new music. I know that over the years many bassists would have had to use guitar amps and even cabs as that was the only thing available up to a certain point, but even after the popularity of several 'bass amp milestone' amps like the SVT or Bassman some still choose to play guitar heads with bass cabs.

I know of only a few, The Ox played the same super leads as Pete until the move to Hiwatt for instance. Dusty Hill still plays Marshall heads, but outside of these few examples I really don't know how common it is after the rise and popularity of bass specific heads.

Anyone who can add to the discussion, I'm really interested in learning more about whoever has or even does now play this way. Thanks.

I did across this thread and rather than resurrect it with semi-on topic discussion I thought I would just quote the relevant bits instead

2. I used a guitar head, because it gave me the level of gain I was looking for. I get disappointed looking at bass amp heads, because most don't have the gain I want or they sound awful when overdriven.

IMG_20151230_192543261.

cheechi likes this.
  3. Col Pruse

Col Pruse Supporting Member

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    Jorgen Carlsson, bassist for Gov't Mule uses guitar amps/cabs.

The brand he uses is quite pricey...

Rig Category 5 Emily, Category 5 JB-100 Joe Bonamassa Signature; two Category 5 4x12 cabinets