1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bassists who use "non pro" gear?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rorykins, Dec 10, 2006.

1. hey all! how are you?:D

I want to hear from the people who prefer to use "cheap" or "non-pro" gear. do you prefer your gear as it is? do you feel the need to upgrade for any reason? for what reasons do you prefer the gear you have?

I myself own a Stingray (not the most expensive) but my MIJ Fender jazz, Hohner b2a and Warwick Rockbass Fortress get used all the time for jams, recordings, performance and general practice.

i have played several high end instruments that Ive just not felt comfy with.

also, can you think of any big name bassists who use or prefer basses and gear thats concidered "for non pro musicians" ?
    cheers!

2. Machines

Machines

Dec 1, 2005
    Birmingham, UK
    Moderator: basschat.co.uk
    I'm very happy with my Yamaha BB614, it cost only £250 and does everything I could ever ask for. I don't think i'll ever spend more than £500 on any instrument - any more than that isn't neccessary for me.

3. TNF

TNF

Oct 7, 2006
    Dallas Tx
    What's wrong with cheap gear if it gets the job done?

4. Hmm, below 1000 basses mayb.

5. i would say "non pro" (notice the quotations) to be the non high end stuff, the gear clearly marketed at intermediate players, or the cheaper stuff.
    i'm thinking the japanese made, the "entry level" basses, the "its not quite a (insert brand name here)" basses. lower cost basses?
    round there?
    cheeers

6. by the way,
    im not saying there is anything wrong with cheap gear, im saying i prefer it, and i want to hear from others who do too.
    cool,
    :D

7. DivXovore

DivXovore

Mar 24, 2006
    Seville, Spain
    I absolutely prefer non expensive gear.

It is real that there may be real crap in the... let´s say sub $300-500 range? But there are also jewels. I favor these because I feel more comfy with them than with more expensive basses. They have a sturdy yet slick feel, and a lot of them are highly customizable to your own tastes and neccesities.

Players with low budget have acces to a lot of quality basses and amps that don´t demand the selling of a kidney, and that is a good thing :hyper: I don´t think you have to be rich to be musician.

As said, long live to the cheapies.

8. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Generalizing "cheap" and "non pro", and saying thats all you like seems a little strange to me. I have never really understood the cut off between the two, or why there is even a distinction to begin with.

Seems to me like you found a bass that feels right to you, and it just happens to be below whatever the price is. While others find there bass that just happens to be above whatever said price is.

You never know , you may find a Sadowsky that just plays like butter. I may find a Rogue that blows my mind.... The previous statement being less of a stretch of course.

9. well im not saying i only prefer cheap stuff, and i dont think its a generalization to ask if people like the lower end stuff too.
    i already said i have a stingray and i absolutely love it.:)

any pros using the kind of stuff like that?

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I saw a band on the TV the other day- forgot who they were because I thought they sucked, but they're fairly big- and the bassist was playing the CIJ (at least I think it's CIJ, I guess it could be MIM) '51 P RI.

11. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I understand Diana Ross's bassist plays a Squire. I believe he's endorsing Squires now.

12. How do you guys feel about non-modificable basses? Like the Yamaha BBs

13. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Tony Levin did say that he uses his OLP Tony Levin signature interchangeably with his real Stingray5 in the studio. Of course he didn't say he took it on the road. Mine is kinda noisy but I love it. I do dream of a real Stingray and perhaps a NS Design EUB but I've been mostly happy with the gear I can afford. My first bass was a 30'' Jazz copy from Sears that somehow had a good neck. I eventually got a Badass, new pups, and the frets pulled out and it was sweet. I would really hesitate to do any mods to an instrument that cost more than $500.

14. Our own gold record winning (India Arie) Woodchuck records with his SX P all the time. He also has plenty of other sub $1K instruments. He'll probably chime in here shortly.

15. DivXovore

DivXovore

Mar 24, 2006
    Seville, Spain
    That is the reason why i don´t have a BB414. I fear some part (pups) gets screwed and i may not replace/fix it.

I have changed my BB414 GAS for the more standard Zodiac BXP GAS, though :p

16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Maybe there arent standard replacements for some basses but you can work out how to put new pickups in a BB... C'mon making a plain black plywood pickup cover is not rocket science...

17. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I once put myself in debt to own a real high-end bass, which turned out to be such a PITA that I'm cured for life. Ditching that dog and staying with an inexpensive but solid Precision copy was the best decision I've made as far as bass playing goes.

18. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I used "alternative" instruments for a lot of years and this is what it taught me.

With Cheapie stuff, you can find a jem. One instrument that everything comes together on. Dispite being a non-name-brand $200/used instrument it just feels great and sounds great.
    I have an El Degas SG clone I bought for $90 like that.
    You could find 10 other of the same model of the same manufacturer and they sound/play like crap.

The difference is that with the hi-end stuff (for the most part) they all play/sound good. A lot of what you are paying for is quality control.
    Touring pros cannot take a "rare gem" out on the road with them; because if something goes wrong with it, they are screwed. However if you take a Stringray on the road and (god forbid) the neck gets smashed, you could get another one in less than 24 hours

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm as happy to use my Kubicki as I am my Squier Modified fretless. A nice bass is a nice bass to me, I just tend to find a higher ratio of "good to bad" basses in the higher price ranges.

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I play both my Spector Euro and Yamaha Attitude Plus I got of the 'bay for $120 including shipping. They're both totally different animals in feel and sound. I like playing one for a long time, then picking up the other to explore it all over again.