1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassists who's bass playing went to s***

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rapturebass, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    This is a thread about bassists who used to play interesting, fun basslines and let their bassplaying go to s***. There are several i can think of at the moment, but a good example would be Nate Mendel: good bass playing in a good "real emo" band called Sunny Day Real Estate and root riding in a nothing special and even mediocre band called The Dave Grohl Band, er, i mean the Foo Fighters.........................................................................
    :smug::eek::rolleyes::ninja::p:bag:;):D:scowl::spit::(:rollno::atoz:

2. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    eh, Ren... former Gackt Job

3. Paul from Slipknot.
    I checked out their first album out of curiosity, and was surprised that the bass was pretty interesting, and even played lead a lot.. after than he didnt really do anything interesting.

4. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Me Saturday night! ;)

5. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Do you mean Slipknot or Mate Feed Kill Repeat? I just listened to some of Mate Feed Kill Repat, and, damn! These dudes used to have FUNK!

I am assuming you mean Mate Feed Kill Repeat, though.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  6. Gene Simmons. Which is why most of the kiddies here like to joke on him. He was a walking monster back in the day! Had a melodic touch that I woulda killed for. From say maybe Creatures (even though I love that disc) on up, he turned into a quarter note drone. :(

7. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    im probably gonna get blasted for it..but i'm gonna say it. Flea from the Chili's.
    NOT CRAP compared to what other 'bad bassists' are playing nowadays.
    but his playing his not nearly as innovative or original as the self-titled album..freakey styley..mother's milk, ect. but i suppose everyone mellows in their age.
    i still love him, and he's still one of my top 5 faves.
    no disrespect intended.

8. I wouldn't say it went to crap, but I agree it's way less innovative than it was back in the MM days.

9. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    I forgot about it, you're totally right.

10. yeah, I meant Mate Feed Kill Repeat, I forgot it was a demo.

11. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Bill Wyman
    Sting
    Flea

G

12. ShawnStones

ShawnStones

Nov 24, 2008
    Rockford,Il
    Tobin from Papa Roach.

Had some great, yet subtle lines on the first record, even the second....after that, it's been crap.

13. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    I wouldn't say Flea's playing is less original, hes just playing a different style nowadays.

14. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I would say as John Entwistle got older and more deaf, his playing suffered. Sure, he was a total God and Bass monster technically. However, his tone and note choice sometimes suffered, I think due to hearing loss. The man was as deaf as a post and used some of the most horrid distortion on earth in his final years. There's a video of a 5:15 bass solo from right before he died and I can't stand to listen to it. He seems to have no idea what he's going to play next and its just all over the place. I love JE, but that's just bad to my ear.

15. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I guess playing a band that has at times been the loudest in the world will do that. Occupational hazards. And a great argument for ear plugs.

16. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    James Jamerson...after he croaked, his playing had no life in it.....

Hey..YOU started the thread!

17. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    I think it was earlier than that - Ezrin started spoon feeding him on Destroyer. He started getting involved with stuff other than music - plus Paul was playing bass on some songs. I don't think Gene played much (if at all) on his own solo album in 1978.
    One of my favorite Gene bass lines - nails the vocal pretty well too.

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Verdine White! So bad now that he has someone offstage playing while he dances around like a jack rabbit!

19. Say it aint so :(.

20. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    +1 if you replace Saturday with Friday. I managed to kill the groove on both the songs where I get to shine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.