1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists with abnormal fingers

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lower-Than-Low, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Lower-Than-Low

Lower-Than-Low

Jun 7, 2006
    Canada!
    Really, really screwed up fingers on their left hand that still manage to hold the groove just like a "normal" person?

My fingers are what you could call "off", if you know what I mean, when I get pics, I'll start another thread because its a topic unto itself.

The bassists don't have to be famous, but videos, pics, or sound clips would be great.

Thanks everyone!
    And MERRY CHRISTMAS!

2. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Deformities in both hands, and still rockin' it! Contrary to what most "normal" people believe, you really are only limited by what you convince yourself you can't do!

3. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    ever see the video of the guy playing "Last Dance with Mary Jane" with his feet?

4. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
  5. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    On my left hand my pink was dislocated and broken before I was seriously playing bass. It didnt form back right. It curves out from hand and from the tip of my pinky to the tip of my newxt hand its about an inch. Ill get a picture sometime.

6. TheApostlePaul

TheApostlePaul

Dec 20, 2006
    I have been wondering about this too. I have problems with hand pain unrelated to playing music but I still love to jam.

The only person I know is Tony Iommi of Sabbath who had some of his fingertips chopped off. But he plays this weird instrument with really skinny strings. I think it is called a geetar? Looks like an instrument for someone who is too wimpy to play bass if you ask me. ;)

7. Lower-Than-Low

Lower-Than-Low

Jun 7, 2006
    Canada!
    Ahh, thanks everyone, now I feel better.

Vegas' post was really encourgaging.

And I don't think I could play this 'geetar' even if I wanted to, they look pretty wimpy, and I never let myself do anything wimpy. Hardcore or nothing.:D

8. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    jaco had pretty crazy fingers ..

9. Lower-Than-Low

Lower-Than-Low

Jun 7, 2006
    Canada!
    I know he had messed up thumbs, but fingers too?
    Now I am feeling very good.
    This place is the best.

10. TheApostlePaul

TheApostlePaul

Dec 20, 2006
    Lets help each other out. What do you do to overcome your hand problems?

11. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've been told my fingers are all f'd up. They are really curly. Check it.

dsgsdgsa.

That's when I naturally put my hand out. They just curl up.

fignsfa.

Check how my index finger curves in. Weird.

gdfjgjk.
    My pinky too.

What do I do? I get over it.

12. Lower-Than-Low

Lower-Than-Low

Jun 7, 2006
    Canada!
    Dude, your hands are almost the same as mine, except that my fingers curl a bit less and the middle and ring bend inward a bit as well.

Its good to know I'm not the only one out there with screwed up fingers.

13. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    If i take an overhead shot of my hands, my middle and ring finger curl in and overlap. It's savage.

14. Lower-Than-Low

Lower-Than-Low

Jun 7, 2006
    Canada!
    dude, creepy.

We should start a "Screwed up Fingers" Club, if there can be clubs for certain basses, I see no problem in having one for people with different hands and such.

15. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    wow, y'all sound like a bunch of girls (i'm a girl, i should know).

every bass player i know has really long and lovely fingers. me? short and squat.

16. I'm missing my right index finger, but I spent my first 3 years (of 5 so far) playing with just a pick. I'm trying to teach myself finger picking right now. Its not easy, but I think I'm getting there :)

[​IMG]

17. the people in that picture appear to be really interested in your lack of finger.

18. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    Cliff Burton had a strange pinky finger on his right hand. Something wrong with his muscle that kept it stuck out permanently.

19. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    have any of you guys seen Abe Laboriel's hands? Man those things are strange, kinda like a claw, but it doesn't matter that guy can lay it down like nobody else anyways

20. steve21

steve21 Banned

[​IMG]

Not the worst thing possible, but different.