Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassists you like / Songs you hate by them

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by canadian bass, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Hi
    I was just coming home from walking the dog at an offleash park, when You shook me all night long came on the radio. I really like ACDC and even though Cliff is pretty simplistic playing I really enjoy listening to him, with that being said I really don't like the songs You shook me all night long or Back in Black probably their biggest hits.
    Whole lotta rosie,Hell's Bells, Shoot to Thrill and Thunder Struck are probabley my favorit songs from that band.
    This anyhow prompted my to ask the question
    What Bassist do you admire ? and what song do you hate that they play on?If you heard the song on the radio you would instantly change the channel, and ask yourself I really like this guy but I can't stand that song.

2. Ok no one is bitting, hope this sparks some intrest.
    I like Tim Commerford but I cant stand the song Dosen't remind me.

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I like Les Claypool, but some of his songs tend to drone on. The one that comes to mind right now is Pork Soda.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Same here, and I'm a huge fan. Also the "vagina rock" stuff by Incubus before Alex left.

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I like Wooten, but I'd say that fully 1/3 of his stuff trips my fast-forward gag reflex. But just like free speech, I defend his right to make whatever he wants to make. He's a kind soul, great with fans, and a true musical wonder... that's enough for me.

And as much as I like Tony Levin as a sideman, I can't get into his solo stuff.

6. I love Geddy and Rush, but "Nobody's Hero" makes me cringe. Its the one about Neil's gay friend who died of AIDS and it is woeful.

7. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Paul McCartney. Can't stand Hey Jude.

8. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden

Hehe , I love that song :rolleyes:

I bought the Bass Extremes album "Cookbook"
    And didn't like any of the songs! ( Except for acoustic brew )

9. Hey! I love that song.

:( oh well.

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I don't like Classical Thump.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Stanley Clarke was a hero and truly was a major figure in me loving the bass. That said, I really don't like about 80% of his output since School Days.

12. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    +1 Sometimes it just gets so . . . cheesy :meh:

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Oh yeah, and the love crap that Larry Graham put out in the 80's.

14. I love Flea's basswork, and I absolutely hate "Porcelain" or "Pea".

*** were they thinking?