1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists you love, tones you hate

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bass12, Oct 13, 2009.

1. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I was just listening to Level 42's "Live At Wembley" album and was reminded of how much I dislike Mark King's bass tone on that recording (he's using an Alembic). I've always liked Mark's playing more than his tone (although I find his thin tone appropriate for some of the stuff he does). Anyone else have favourite players with not so favourite tones (even if only on a particular album)?

2. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Jack Bruce with Cream.

3. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Jul 28, 2008
    Wind Gap, PA
    Flea's live tone.

4. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    John Myung.
    It's not so much his tone,but lack thereof.

5. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    I think Fieldy is an interesting player in terms of technique, but that downtuned tone that sounds like his strings are just rattling loose on his fretboard...ugh...

6. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Arif from Protest the Hero here's an isolated track:

Granted its mixed to fit well on the record but I still don't really like it.

7. lebrett

lebrett

Mar 14, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Bunny Brunel Fretless tone is sooo bad. It's a shame cause the guy is good. I often skip is songs on iTunes because I can't pass over his bass tone.

8. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    bunnys tone overall is pretty nasty. but, his signature bass is pretty nice.. his fingers are cursed..

i think the king of good playing with bad tone is stanley clarke. his (electric) sound is flat out awfull. he can play, but he really should not be playing those alembics.

9. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    live stanley clarke, thank gawd im not alone in this. My fav stan tone was that Jimi hendrix tribute with the orchestra.

He didnt use an alembic, but something else and thats the best tone IMO he ever got.

10. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I agree that Stan's Talent-To-Crappy Tone ratio is dangerously close to 1:1, but I wouldn't fault his Alembic...rather, I think the choices he makes in how to use those Alembics, and their very steep filters, is what yields his boing/twang/dink sound. I've heard Alembic Series II basses exude seriously deep throbbing low end, almost dub-style sub-bass. I just wish to hell Stanley Clarke would dial some of that in when he played.

11. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    As some one said, Fieldy.
    Chris Squire (applies flame retardant)
    Justin Chancellor's tone on some songs, when he really rolls the treble up, however he does that with a wal with their filters.

12. McCartney. No matter what bass he played, Beatles, solo, studio, live, same plodding, generic dull thud.

One of my favorite musicians/bass players of all time.

13. i'd like to get that tone from don't eat the yellow snow,from zappa'a apostrophe album........tom fowler i think.........

14. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    ill check this out when i get home.

what do people think of steve harris' tone?

15. Trapezius

Trapezius

Mar 1, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    John Myung. One of the best players out there, with no mids in his tone. Only the deepest sub frequencies are audible below the wall of guitars from Petrucci.

16. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Geezer, Steve Harris. Love what they do, haven't always appreciated their tone though.

17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Maybe you haven't heard this from him? It doesn't fit your description of his tone (to me, at least).

18. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I'll second whats been said about Flea's live tone and John Myung's tone.

Flea - sounds like he boosted the treble and put on a fresh set of steels prior to playing.

Myung - I cant even define his tone, it's so buried in the mix I'm having a hard time following his playing.

19. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I have the Live At Wembley" DVD and his Jay Dee / Trace sound was spot on...
    you almost couldn't tell the Wally Badarou sync was playing

20. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I'll do you one better...

Are you ready?

Geddy Lee. I think he sounds incredibly sterile.