Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bassjus' ensemble recording!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassjus, Aug 25, 2005.

1. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I was at Berklee for the better part of the summer. I had two ensembles perform, and they were also recorded. This is the better of the two just because I'm way too lazy to do the other one. The chords and the head of the first song was written by a guitarist by the name of Mike Serman, and the second is a standard by Herbie Hancock off his album Takin' Off called Watermelon Man. Enjoy!

I think you will have to replace the *** with the three word letter for butt, and I think you know what ****** is.
    http://www.michaelpatrickkelley.com...amuel L. Jacksons - Bad *** Mother ****er.mp3

http://www.michaelpatrickkelley.com/media/justinbaker/The Samuel L. Jacksons - Watermelon Man.mp3

if that doesn't work www.michaelpatrickkelley.com/media/justinbaker

Thanks guys

2. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Oh c'mon. It's not that bad.

3. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    the groove sounds pretty good.

For that first song with the * i would work on that solo more. It wasnt that the notes were bad its just that the rhythm didnt create that much interest. You should vary it more and also try adjusting the length of the notes maybe, i felt it was to staccato. Some of it sounded unfocused and not as forceful also. Even If you are unsure what to lay down during one section of your solo you should still try to play whatever your doing confidently.

Also tell your band to quiet down a bit more. When you took the solo it did sound kind of cluttered along with their playing. And the shift in dynamics will make what your doing sound WAY better it wont sound forced or like you are fighting to be heard.

Oh and turn your amp up!! You wont have to dig in as much, it sounded like you were pushing the notes pretty hard at some points.

4. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    thanks, I'm not much fo a soloer, but I'm working on it thanks for the tips. The band not quieting down was a huge problem for that, I would tell them to quiet down next time, but there is no next time :p. I was told my volume was fine, i didn;t really have much fo a way to judge it because there were no monitors! and this was a performance for Berklee!

Thanks
    jus

5. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    oh well then i guess you should just worry bout the solo :)

you can still turn the amp up and play lighter though.