Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

basslab 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by netvampire, May 5, 2004.

1. netvampire

netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    Australia
    Anyone here tried one of those basslab 5 guitars, if so could you put a little info up thanks, tone,weight,etc.etc .love to know what the factory setup is like. :bassist:

2. netvampire

netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    Australia
    Oops sorry ..!!! put this in the wrong section... ;(

3. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    to put it short:

can you think of a bass, where the low b sounds as brilliant as the other strings ?
    some call their low b string floppy, others are happy when it's not floppy.
    now, the basslab 5 that i have has a real zingy low b if i want to. never thought a low b can sound like this until i got my basslab.

the tone is... well... it's like you want it to be.
    if you play soft, you get a very mellow tone, if you dig in hard, you'll get a growly, aggressive tone. it's up to you, the bass is not standing in your way.
    but one thing is for sure: composite can sound even woodier than wood !
    thinking of growl as a woody sound ? then try composite.

did you hear that composite lacks low end ?
    well, it might be on full carbon necks or something like that, but not on basslabs.
    there are a lot more low frequencies than normal basses have. and i mean, the spectrum is broad.

really, it's up to you what you do with the sound. it seems to give you everything. you just have to decide, if you want to go boomy, or zingy, or barking, or whatever.

the basses are very light. i don't think you will have problems playing for hours... :)
    the body is very resonant, and i really like how i can feel the vibration of the body when i play. especially the low notes can be felt where the bass touches you.

if you have the chance to check basslab basses out.... you better don't. you might end up being unsatisfied with the other basses you have around ;-)

p.s.
    i forgot something:
    my bass doesn't change. i mean, the neck is always the same. i don't have a truss rod, and i don't need one. the string height is always the same.
    the bass even stays in tune. it does detune, when i slap real hard. but that's due to the strings, not the neck or the tuning machines.
    i took the bass with me once when i went on vacation. it was hot there, i was outside in a t-shirt. i played there, the bass was in tune. then i came home. it was cold at home, i had to put a jacket on. at home, i took the bass out of the gig bag. the material was cold, but it was still perfectly in tune.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I used one for over a year. Easily the best fixed-scale-length string platform I've ever played. Severe up-tuning and down-tuning with any string gauges still resulted in very even tonal response/distribution of overtones. Incredible sustain for any note on any string for the entire length of the neck.

It's also very ergonomic and super light on the shoulder - the lightest I've seen actually. Very sleak and sexy. Every time I took that black beauty to a jam its tonal flexibility and its looks dropped jaws.

Lots of sample/graphs and more description of its capability in the Bass frequency/waterfall plots: what they mean to rigs thread.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I have some nice basses, but my Soul V became my number one within 24 hrs of playing it. Remarkably even tone across all strings, very deep tone (it IS, after all, a hollowbody) and all in a 5.1 lb package that's loud enough unplugged to practice alone in a quiet room with no amp. Perfect neck with no dead spots. If I had to nit-pick, I'd prefer a little more upper fret access (easily done by Heiko upon request) and a little better sustain above the
    12th fret.

6. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    greenboy, what model did you play ?
    do you still own it ?
    it sounds as if you don't play it anymore.

lomo, does your soul sound like a fender jazz ?
    i like the idea of a bass looking traditional, but sounding all but traditional.... some sort of "sleeper", you know...

i'd like to buy a soul 4 one day... (heiko, be prepared :))

7. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I tried an STD 5 in Sweden about two years ago. It's SubUrbans own bass, a deep red one.
    What struck me is that it is so light, and plays so well. I could hardly notice that I had it strapped on. And it would stay in perfect playing position, unlike most wooden basses.

The very first impression was ambvivalent: since it was so light, it felt as if it wasn't a "real" bass. As if it was a toy-guitar made of plastic. But playing it was an experience of a proper bass with good, even sound and sooo effortless.

I still want an STD 6.