Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basslab Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been to their site before, and wasn't inspired. I went back a few days ago, and suddenly, it clicked.

I think these basses are some of the coolest looking things on the market. They strike me as something I need to own. Unfortunately, with one US importer, and a list of 2800 for a couple of 5ers, I don't think I'll be seeing one soon. So I'll just have to drool over the pics, and the couple video's they have (one of Mr. Slapring Gerd Reese slapping like a mofo!).

So, here is my space to say: these thing's fule! (Think the same contraction as fugly...:D)

www.basslab.de

L-Bow V:
    Pic won't show for some reason!
    STD V:
    But Still....
    Soul:
    They are cool lookin'
    Aaaaand the DN1000!
    This one in is really cool.

2. Heiko

Heiko BassLab

Apr 24, 2001
    Kassel, Germany
  3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I saw that...and now I'm drooling even more!

4. Heiko

Heiko BassLab

Apr 24, 2001
    Kassel, Germany
    Sorry,

but that was my intention!!! ;>)

Maybe you can try to contact our new Canadian distributor: Greg Holmes.
    You will find his adress on our website.
    He will also deliver to the states and might be able to help with a bass for a check.

Just contact him and he can tell you more....

Greetings

Heiko

Bassitudes likes this.
  5. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I've checked the site, the design is really innovative to say the least. Not as "weird" as the spalt basses but definitely different than the good old "fender bass". I've checked the soundclips and movies, the sound seems great for solo and slap stuff because of the clarity. I'd like to try one someday.

Ari

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Aw, crap! My GAS meters just peaked out...

I've seen (and appreciated) these basses before, but hadn't really heard them much.

That dang audio sample got me. That's some impressive growl.

Hope I'm able to track one down soon.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Heiko, how durable are these things? Being completely hollow kind of alarms me, but only because I'm not really a "sit and play" kinda guy. Quite the opposite. I have a very energetic stage show, and as a result, *sometimes* the bass might get knocked a bit.

How stable/road worty are these?

...And I have to ask...how well do the basses handle de-tuning? I play hard rock/metal and detune anywhere from one step to two full steps (even on a 5er!)

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    [​IMG]

I think a fretless L-bow like this wouldn't hurt my feelings at all!

9. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    yea they look awesome, yea i want one, but what in the world is this?? Someone please explain.[​IMG]

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Art, according to Greg Holmes. Just art.

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    pure genius!

i am a traditionalist but i love REAL innovators!;)

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I like the looks of 'em, but think they should rethink using STD for their models.

Sexually transmitted disease, anyone?

;)

13. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Heiko, just sent you a quote request...

Can you do a 5 string headless, but follow the 4 string STD body style (ii.e., upper horn is a little more subdued) with a dark blue/black/purple color?

14. You have a Canadian Distributor now, uh-oh. I might have to look into these things.

Geoff

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    GAS List has a new member, DP Custom 5, StingRay 5 & now a Bass Lab 5. If only i made higher than $5.50 an hour. I remember lookin at those a few months ago & thought-holy crap, they look really different. If the neck is as stable as i've read it'd be a great marching band bass. oh well. thats all

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If I ever win the lottery...

[​IMG]

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd say Jeff. That thing lists about 5900 CDN. Which comes to about $3770 ish list USD. That's from Greg Holmes, the Canadian dealer Heiko mentioned.

Edit...I just checked the GH site. It says price, not list (though it may indeed be list. I dunno.) Which mean JJ concepts (USA importer) List of $4500 isn't that far off.

Take that as you may.

18. Not if I win the lottery first!!!

Look at all those knobs! Jesus Pogosticking Christ its like flying an airplane!

19. This will be the very first headless bass I buy.

This thing is just sick!

[​IMG]

Heiko, how much does one of these retail for in Germany?

It's a possibility I might be there later this month.

PS how far are you from Ramstein AB?

20. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Heiko, are you there?
    This is an important question, it seems. I have had it a few times.

From my own limited experience, having handeled a few on the road and thru the mail....
    They are fine! The surface can be slightly more brittle, meaning it may loose a splint easier. Like if the head sticks out of your gigbag, laying loose in the luggage compartment of a bus. AS if somebody'd do that... But if you keep it bolstered when travelling, there's no problem.
    And I guess you would keep it bolstered, considering the mass of $$$ you carry?;) I, myself, try to handle all my music equipment as they were, if not Stradivarii, at least acoustic guitars.