Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mark beem, Nov 2, 2005.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Just got one in from Greg Holmes of GH Services in Canada to test drive for a few weeks!! Interesting little bass!! Incredibly light weight. Will have a full review and sound clips (hopefully) in the next few days!!

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Man...that is...the ugliest thing I've ever seen...
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'm looking forward to seeing some "life" pictures and a full review.

Can you talk some pictures of you wearing the bass? That'd be really informative :)
  4. Is that sustainbar thing some sort of rite-of-passage for some makers? Or some cruel inside joke played on the public?

"Hey Hans, get someone to buy that thing and write a good review, and you can join the guild".

I thought those things were only reserved for Roland Bass synths from the 80's, and Prince.
  5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    From Greg's website:

The sound of this bass is remarkably "time-aligned" and balanced, due in part to the built-in "bow" running parallel to the neck that joins the body to the head. This feature alters the resonance of the instrument, giving a broader low-end response. In fact, all BassLab instruments have a better low-end than conventional instruments, but the L-BOW takes that even further and carries the effect right up the spectrum.
  6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  7. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    I followed Mark's link and I noticed that one of the BassLab basses is called the STD... :eyebrow:
  8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I've been GASing for a Basslab since the first time I saw them. There's just something cool about a bass that is "grown" in a lab. The variety of neck profiles is interesting, and I think I'd need to have actual examples in my hand to see if some of the more unusual ones have merit. That blue striped doubleneck gives me the joneses...

Congrats Mark, I envy you having the opportunity to check one out. Look forward to your impressions.
  9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    That bass must be a b***h playing sitting down without a strap.

Oh, and nothing but Prince covers on that bass. ;)
  10. Meh, it's still goofy to me. I'll pass.

and I'm glad someone realized the Prince comment was flip. :smug:
  11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
  12. We time align our speaker arrays and it really works quite nice. I wonder how it works with basses? :meh:

Not being catty, I really would like to know.
  13. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works

have a good time with the test drive .... I, too, am very interested in what your thoughts will be ........ :cool:
  14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Yeah, you have to use a strap at all times. Otherwise the g string pretty much rests in your lap. That bass was a mixed bag for me. I liked the way it sounded, especially the amazing low end, I like the playability.

I took it out on a couple of gigs, and found myself (surprise surprise) reluctant to take it out of the gig bag. I don't really want a whole lot of "instrument attention" on stage, and the basslab definitely gets that in spades (And this one is black, imagine the response with a bright yellow one). People started yelling out "play the german bass"!! I suppose that its very much a preference thing for players, I just couldn't get over the wierd looks. But I play an F bass and lots of people don't like the way they look, so, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Thank god we don't all like the same stuff, how boring would the industry be?
  15. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i have actually played that bass along with other BASS LAB instruments at GH services before.

they aren't really my style, but i think if i was to get used to one i could reallyy dig it, it had alot of tonal variety to her, she was light, diffferent looking. the neck can never bend...etct etc

coool bass have fun with her
  16. When are you ordering your 8-string Basslab, Mark? ;)
  17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Heh heh.. No, no more 8 strings for me... ;)
  18. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    what happened?
  19. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Long story..
  20. We've got the time if you want to tell :)