Basslab Video

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BarnacleBassist, May 14, 2002.

1. Hey i was jsut at BAsslabs websitre and there is a video there of a guy testing a bass, and hes slapping really well... i jsut wanted to know just what in the sam he|| he was doing with his index, middle and ring fingers.... i couldnt understand it... if anyone has the answer ( or anthing... ) jsut replyu... heres the URL:

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
  3. Now does that metal contraption give him his talent, or is he an actually good player?
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No contraption gives talent.
  5. What if it were a talent giving contraption?
  6. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Thats cool. I wish I could slap using such minimal hand movements.

7. fair enough! :D
  8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    he IS talented... i dont think any newbie could slap that good just buying that thing...
  9. Heiko

Heiko BassLab

Apr 24, 2001
    Kassel, Germany
    Hi, there!

Gerald uses a different slap technique. It´s more a circular movement of his thumb.
    Anyway, he is fast!

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you meant the part near the end, he is plucking doublets and triplets with them.

If you meant earlier in the video, he was strumming chords using downstrokes with his fingers.

That guy has some chops.
  11. EffKay

Feb 25, 2003
    This technique looks alot like the ones Alexis Sklarevski uses in "The bass slap program" instruction video.

I think he uses his index-,middle- and ringfinger to tap the strings in a certain pattern. This is quite tricky, as you have to be quite accurate if you want it to sound right. Gets even more tricky when you do it fast. This guy has obviously done it before :) He also uses the strum technique, triple/double plucking technique, and several triplets.

A tip when using the tapping technique:
    In the beginning, try and concentrate at hitting the E-string ONLY. When using index-, middle- or ring-finger try and hit the very tip of the finger. This is the pattern: Thumb, Middle, Index, Thumb, Ring, Thumb. Try and experiment with it... It's quite cool when u get the hang of it! :cool:
  12. For some ungodly reason I cannot view the file.
  13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Looks like the dude is doing some fairly straightforward stuff and moving his right hand around way more than he needs too. I personally feel economy of motion is a better approach to slapping that trying to look like flash. I can easily thumb and pluck as fast as he is doing in that video but it looks like my hand is hardly moving when I do it. That being said he is still much better than me as I really dont have the left handed technique to go with my right handed technique (hey I've only been playing six months).
  14. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I wouldn't be so sure. There are a lot of ghost notes going on in there. I had the opposite impression, that he had a fairly good relaxed technique. I had your impression when I saw vids of Bill Dickens. His arm just moves way too far.

One of the vids on his (Gerald's) website is pretty bad though, he's totally hunched over the bass :), and I wasn't impressed much with the mp3 files either. But, this clip impressed me.
  15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    His technique seems similar to dickens' though....interesting. Not easy to get those rolling triplets!
  16. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've never been a fan of strange guitar/bass designs, but I would take a baseball to the jimmy for a Basslabs. :D
  17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  18. Garrett, you incoherent moron, download Quicktime.