Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BassLab - wooho!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suburban, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I had the opportunity the other weekend to visit Kassel, Germany. Guess who works there?
    Well, since I had succeeded in having a BassLab bass sent to me for test (a cut L-bow), I took the opportunity to try the rest.
    Guys, these are incredible!
    They are made of some secret composite, that forms a hollow monocoque of the entire instrument. It's incredibly stiff and hard. Well, I don't know, but Heiko, the tech chef(!) there, said it can be modified to give any tonal responce!?!
    You'd expect the tone to be hard and sterile, too, but in fact, it is - if you want...or dull as an old P-bass, if you tweek the pots in that way.
    You know, I tend to preach ergonomics first...this is the best bass I've worn with a standard strap. Actually, the only thing I don't really agree with Heiko on, is the traditional ergonomics of such a front running instrument.
    But, I put on a STD, and it fit like I was born with it! The STD sixer was just great (I couldn't sleep that night, every time I slumbered I played that red axe...):(

Anyway, I can recommend a test, for all that have access to a BassLab representative. Or even a shop that carries one!??!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sub - A while back, I started a thread about these outrageous, (in a good way), basses because I was intrigued by their combination of physics and luthiery.

Heiko, a super nice guy, and I have exchanged several emails and he told me they were going to be in the US for the first time in the SWR booth at the last NAMM show in Nashville. So, I guess from that show, we should be seeing Basslabs in the USA as they line up a distributor.

Are they a light as a feather? Do you know what kind of pickups you were trying out on them?

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    They are LIGHT, like 2.5kg instead of 4.5.
    They use mostly Rough Crystal humb'ers, which was on most of the ones there. But one had a Kent Armstrong MM, which also was great. And of course, you can have what you want...

Heiko is indeed a nice guy, and so is Felix, the other guy. And it you try uli@basslab.de, you will have ahn answer from within the US;)
    Why don't you press a mail, that you wanna test?

All you can loose is some money, 'cuz you can't get yourself to return it:D

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks Sub!

I've heard Rough Crystals are quite cool. And that weight is like 5 lbs. for we Yanks. Impressive!

You make a good suggestion. I have Heiko's email. I'll see what he says about US distributorship.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Rough Crystal pickups are handmade by Reiner Dobbratz of Le Fay.

www.lefay.de

The website is German only, but you can email him here:

reiner@lefay.de

6. Hey I just checked out the BassLab site. Very cool looking instruments. Did you play "The Soul" bass? I wonder if they make them lefty.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They do make them lefty.
    And they do real custom, you can order pretty much any shape etc. you like.
    It'll cost more than the standard models of course.

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yep.
    Feels like a,,,well, you know,,,except for the weight. OK, the back of the neck is smoother, too. Otherwise, it's just,,,ordinary "you know what" feel.:D

Sound is, as on all the other BassLab instruments, what you make it. The acoustic response is better than the wooden variant, and the electronics do the rest. The older, DaCapo, electronics are good, but Heiko's new design is better yet. You want "modern", you get "modern",,,you want "vintage P", ok, get with the tone knobs.

And, if you pay up:rolleyes: , you get anything you want :eek: as custom