1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassless...for now

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Dec 20, 2011.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    So I sold my Sadowsky and Rob Allen today. Not a bass in the house. I've either quit or given notice in my bands. My last gig is NYE so I need something for that. After that it'll just be church and fill in gigs. I'm thinking a Geddy Lee jazz. Simple, great playing, great sounding jazz bass that should work for any gig. I had one a while back and really liked it. Don't want to end a lot, but still want a nice bass. Am I on the right track?

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Sure or go get a Squier CV jazz and save $.

3. 64jazz

64jazz

Nov 29, 2011
    Louisville, KY USA
    That's where I've landed. Decided to stop the never-ending pursuit of gee-whiz and just play, myself. Played a Geddy several weeks ago at Guitar Emporium and loved it, but seem to have ended up stuck on my old MIM Jazz bass that's nicely set up. It's adequate for any gig I'm going to play, yet just rough enough to continually challenge my technique. :smug:

4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've tried to go the Squier route but I just can't go there. Too much of a gear snob. I think a Geddy is a nice balance between affordable and quality.

5. 64jazz

64jazz

Nov 29, 2011
    Louisville, KY USA
    +1! For the money, the Geddy may be one of the best deals on the market right now. Pretty sure it would get you rolled in most homeless shelters, though. The MIM, not so much. :meh:

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Geddy or Roadworn is the route to go!

7. muzikman7

muzikman7

Sep 16, 2004
    Find a nice '60s Classic Jazz a very nice bass.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    G&L L2000. Covers P, J, MM, plus it's own thing. Destroys a Geddy any day of the week. You can get a used USA model for what you'll pay for an overseas built Geddy. Definitely a step up from Fender, so that should satisfy your gear snobbery :)

9. Check out the Carvin B40... USA made for $800...

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Why have you decided to stop gigging? Just curious.

11. Ivan M

Ivan M

Aug 2, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    75 Re-Issue would my choice, by the way your gonna miss that SADOWSKY. Good luck in whatever bass you get next.

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Just curious why you sold the Sadowsky just to trade down to a Geddy?

13. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Stopped gigging because I just don't want to do as many gigs and late night gigs as the other guys.

Trading down as I don't want that much money in a bass when I'm not regularly gigging. I also think I prefer a 4 string.

I have had G&L's in the past and liked them but I like jazz type basses and that thin neck of the Geddy.

14. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Me too, always have.

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Steve, you've been clear for a few weeks that you were going to do what you did, why are now asking if you are on the right track? Just go buy the Geddy Lee Sig and be happy!:)

16. +1 to that! Love those Geddys, I agree with the mention of it being one of the best values on the market right now.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I think they *used* to be a great value - but their price has gone up considerably - even used...

- georgestrings

18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Since you say you are a gear snob I am interested in hearing from you what your thoughts are on the Squier CV Jazz v.s say the Geddy. Not trying to pick a fight since I'm not that kind of guy and respect your views, just wondering for the sake of it :p Is it cause it say's Squier? or is it deeper like fit,finish, tone etc. thanks.

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    :eyebrow:
    You can get an L-2000 with any neck you want.

But anyway, how about a G&L JB then? This Jazz Bass enough for you?
    JB_BabyBlu_MP.

20. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I know. Just wanted to see if there was anything I didn't consider. I really like the Geddy and for church, fill in gigs and noodling at home I think it's a great choice. I may miss the "boutique" basses a little - who doesn't like a pretty bass around - but I think I'll get over it. I've never felt really comfortable having a "nice" bass anyway. I always seem to want to go to something less extravagant.