1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassless for quarantine

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heb9_28, Mar 18, 2020.

1. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    Like the title says, I'm bassless for this quarantine :( Lots of time on my hands with nothing in them! My wife and I are currently separated and my bass (Squier CV Jazz) is at our house, which I'm not able to go to in order to pick it up.

Anyways, I've been passing the time getting into new bands and watching YouTube videos to get me pumped up for whenever it will be that I can get it back in my hands! I've watched the Vulfpek concert at MSG at least 5 times, along with other videos by them, the Fearless Flyers, Snarky Puppy, and I jut discovered this band named "Ripe" that is awesome. I can't stop listening to them.

So I'm looking for more recommendations for some new bands to check out. I'm really in to funk/soul type stuff. Any suggestions???

joeqpublic likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Suggestion: buy a bass by mail order. Should be there in a couple of days. :thumbsup:

3. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    Would LOVE to do that! Unfortunately with the separation, the bank account is not accessible either. I started a new job about 2 weeks ago and should get my first paycheck this Friday. Got bills to catch up on that will have to be the priority.

dmt, JRA, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  4. Shipping? They're still doing it, so get your bass shipped or buy a new one.

Old or great movies with wonderful music are another outlet. Among my favorites are: Lilies of the Field, Oh Brother Where Art Though?, The Perez Family, Like Water for Chocolate and (of course) Yellow Submarine.

The Mogpipe and Bassdirty like this.
  5. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    I'll have to check those movies out! Oh Brother, Where Are Thou? is one of my favorites!

BillMason and jdh3000 like this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    JRA, bassstation and daddycool69 like this.
  7. It was the inspiration for Mumford and Sons. Truly one of the worlds most under-rated movies, a favorite for all of my friends too.

jdh3000, audreycashin and heb9_28 like this.
  8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Check out The Inlaws with Michael Douglas. Funny movies. :thumbsup:

JimmyM and heb9_28 like this.
  9. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    Stumbo likes this.
  10. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Have a mutual friend pick it up for you.

- John

11. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio

Drive down to Columbus and buy my, this.........................Warmoth Bass Guitar - musical instruments - by owner - sale

You'll be happy that you did and so will I!

heb9_28 likes this.
  12. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    That bass is sweet!!! Super unique. I like the two jazz pickups on P body, and the custom pickguard.

Unfortunately (I seem to be saying that a lot lol) I don't have a car either. We only have one and she has the kids so she has it. That's actually what my money is going to be being saved for after I get caught up on my bills.

Stumbo likes this.
  13. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I'm feeling for you heb9_28. Gotta get a car. #1 priority. Play "air bass" in the meantime.

14. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    I feel for you.
    Maybe some new/different music:

Rocks my boat.

15. Your wife can't lock you out of the bank account if your name is also on the account. Assuming a court hasn't said otherwise.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  16. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Quarantine is for the infected.
    Social distance is for the uninfected.
    Just so you know.

Those quarantined cannot move about.
    Those who are not infected can move about,but keep social distance.
    So you CAN go get your bass.
    You can go to work,
    You can go to Walmart.
    IF you're not infected.
    Just don't make close contact with people.

Sorry.Misapplication of this word irks me.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  17. Is this slang for "hire a goon" ?

18. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I hear there are some $14.99 basses from China.

19. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    That was not my intent. I can't imagine there is no one who could pick it up for the OP.

- John

Pilgrim and Remoman like this.
  20. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Is your area on enforced self isolation, or "lock down?" Everything here is pretty much closed, but people still have to shop, and food delivery is available.

Is not being able to get your bass a legal or geographic issue? Perhaps you could hire a messenger/courier to pick up your bass? I picked up/delivered all kinds of things when I was a bicycle messenger.

If nothing else, I have a Stagg short scale I picked up for €10. I was gonna do a rebuild/refin on it come spring/summer. You can have it, for free, but you'd have to cover the shipping from Germany. It would take about 10 days. It's probably not what you're looking for, but hey! It's a playable bass.

ctmullins, BillMason, dmt and 4 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021