1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassless - Sold them both

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by TheSuzie, Jun 24, 2007.

1. I sold my little Kay mid week. Then I got a call about my East German bass, which John Styklunas had been holding for me. He had done a fantastic job on that bass when he upgraded it for me last year. He found a buyer and I negotiated a deal. Probably didn't bring in enough money to replace them but I need things like a car and a place to live right now. I know I could have done worse. Still it brings tears to my eyes. Weird how us humans get attached to our stuff. I have been too ill to play anything for close to a year anyway.

Now I have to sell off all the electrics, amps, guitars, fx and recording stuff. Don't think I have the strength to deal with it so I may have to let it all go to a local music store for pennies on the dollar. Hopefully once I have settled somewhere, I can get an EUB or a cheapo DB to try and get started again.

Back to the housing ads...
    S

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    S--

Sad, indeed. I wish you the best and an easy resolution to your situation. If you post the list of equipment in the classified ads here, then perhaps the community could do better for you than pennies on the dollar.

Again, here's wishing you a smooth path back to the DB.

3. Thanks for your wishes. I have posted a couple of items but the big problem is that I have not got what it takes to pack and ship anything, so they have to be local sales.

BTW: Susan or Suzie is OK

4. some of us wouldn't mind helping you out and paying for the shipping and packing charges. it's always worth a shot. i found that people on TB are a lot less cutthroat.

hope it all smooths out for you, susan.

best wishes
    kev

5. Thanks, but it is not so much the charges as sorting through a collection of stuff that began in 1969. I'm sure I have things that I do not even remember. I just thought of a couple of things I have that were not on my list. I'm too ill to do the actual work myself but hopefully I will find a way to be done with it soon.

Thanks Again,
    Susan

6. philip sirois

philip sirois

May 29, 2006
    NYC
    Susan,

Where in mass are you? I'll be up there next week for a week (home) , if I could help out, I'd be glad to.

phil

7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Suzie, do you have a PayPal account where people could send you a few bucks to help you out?

Wishing I could help, Jake

8. Philip and Jake,

Thanks for your kind offers. To clarify; while I am financially strained, I am not broke yet. My burn rate is tremendous compared to my small income but I have reserves enough for the short term. The money I am bringing in by selling posessions is helping to cover my expenses too. I would not want to mislead anyone about any of this. While things are likely to get worse before they get better, I think I will find a way through this mess. The situation is complicated and confusing for sure.

My health is pretty damaged but I am not the only one around here who faces those sort of challenges. It is extremely frustrating not being able to deal with any of this stuff in a hands on way. I have to do everything by proxy and finding people to help has been close to impossible. Progress is extremely slow. It is a messy situation and I wish I could just walk away and let the bank take it all off my hands. Of course, that would be a foolish thing to do and really limit my my future possibilities so I just have to get to the other side somehow. Enough for now - go talk about basses...

Peace,
    S

9. When my bass was badly damaged last year, I almost went totally mental. Instruments are very, very personal artifacts; it's really hard when they get lost or hurt. The writer Julian Barnes has a bit about how a violin is just wood and wire, but that makes what it can do even more sublime, not less. Instruments can be replaced; you can't be. Stay strong - peace.

10. I'm sending you some light.

11. Thanks to all for your kind support.

It was hard yesterday. A dealer offered me somewhere around 30 cents on the dollar for all my gear - which includes one instrument I have been playing since 1969 (my first electric guitar) and others I have been playing since the early 80's. There are a lot of hopes tied up in those instruments, a lot of music I was struggling to try to express and a lot of comfort through some dark nights - also plenty of work at setting up, repairing and building gear. I am going to try and get other offers but it is all hard to deal with and I know I must let go fairly soon. Right now I have to find yet another place to live because I can't stay here much longer.

Thanks Again,
    S

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021