Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bassline and musicman

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Nov 2, 2000.

1. has any one tried to replace their musicman stingray pickup with the bassline pickup that is heavily advertised as the perfect replacement? also i play a stingray 4 through a swr workingman 15 and it always sounds slightly distorted, is this common?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have a Basslines MM pickup in a Washburn XB900 with the matching Basslines preamp. It sounds good and nails the Stingray tone, but it's extremely sensitive to technique, so if your playing is sloppy, this pickup isn't going to hide it. Also, it's very stringy sounding, so don't expect to dial in any synth-like P-bass mud without radical EQing.

As for the distortion; I've noticed some on the A string when I dig in. Lowering the pickup away from the strings helps a little with the distortion. However, the MM pickup, with its huge polepieces and overwinding, is engineered to distort a little. Hence the classic Stingray snarl.

3. Yep. The basslines setup will give you more highs and lows, and a more refined tone (smoother). Also gives you that cool slap contour. You might have to lower your input gain a little to clean up yuor sound, possibly also the enhance knob if you are using that. I've also played a MM with a Bartolini pup and stock preamp, that was a nice combination. Once again, a smoother sound.

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Do either of these or is ther'e any replacements that work with the stock Ernie 3 band preamp or do you use Basslines or Bartolini's preamp? I like the sound of the stock one but it rips my fingers to shreads on the pole pieces.

5. Perhaps sanding the polepieces would be a nice (and cheap) solution for you?

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    You know MesaMan I thought about that but I didn't know if it would erffect the pickup's performance, All I would do is file a bevel edge around the edge. Has anyone done this before?
    I also don't mind upgrading the pup to something better.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'd leave the polepieces alone. The reason why they're staggered that way is to even out string-to-string response on low-radiused instruments. If they're bugging you, Bartolini and Lane Poor offer MM replacements without the exposed polepieces. They're a little tamer sounding than the Basslines, but if you're not dead set on the latter, they're worth checking out.

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thanks Christopher are the Barts or the lanes drop in replacements cause I like the MM preamp and don't want to mess with it? How about the Basslines do I have to use there preamp or do they drop in without messing with the MM preamp?

[Edited by Funkster on 11-08-2000 at 06:55 AM]

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    AFAIK, both the Bartolini and LP PUs are drop in replacements. I'd start with the pickup replacement alone; if you're still not satisfied, you can rip out the stock electronics.