Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassline MM pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gallienkrueger, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Im thinking about replacing the pickup in my OLP to an actual Baseline pickup. Is it worth it?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I got the Bassline Alnico MM for a fiver with their Tone Circuit preamp on a custom. It's vicious, hard-edged, high output, and blows any Ray off the stage.

But then again, pickup placement, woods, bass construction, and bridge will have a significant effect.

3. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    hey man
    ive got 5 string olp
    just aboutt o upgrade to seymour duncan alnico pickup adn stc-3m3 eq im jsut waiting on my package to arrive, keep in cantact if u wana know more
    cheers

4. rickbass

You should be in for a major change, ms.

Unless you're an electronics whiz, I hope you're getting it professionally installed. They're too expensive to not have them installed "right."

Maybe just post here about your results.

5. what im palnning on doing to mine is getting it installed by a local luthier and getting the Aguilar onboard Preamp to make active as well. im etimating it wil be around 400 bucks when im done(100 for the preamp, 100 for pickup, 200 for installation)

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    $200 for the installation? Egads! That is outrageous for simply replacing a pup and wiring a preamp. Is there something more to this installation such as routing? If you were in San Jose, I'd do it for $75.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    $400 to upgrade an OLP? That's a lot of bred to be clunking down on a cheap piece of wood, IMO.

8. rickbass

But when and if he decides to sell/trade-in the OLP, he can always take the Basslines out, save it for the next bass, and put the beer-can pickup back in.

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, I agree with this philosophy. Although if he plans to do this he better learn how to solder. $200 in labor each time is gonna kill him.

10. rickbass

I never heard of such a cost, xyll. If no routing is required, I'm thinkin' $40 bucks, max!!!

Maybe Rick Turner's doing this. :D

11. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    my luthier
    said he will do the lot for me for 50-60 bucks!!
    not 200 get lost