Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassline P pickup for P/J Fender P-bass Special

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by naughtry, Sep 29, 2004.

1. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    Got a late 90's Fender Cali Precision Bass Special I already replaced the Jazz pickup with a SD Basslines SJB-2 Hot for Jazz Bass.

For the P pickup I'm Debating between:
    SPB-2 Hot for P-Bass
    or
    SPB-3 Quarter-Pound™ for P-Bass

- I play rock/post-hardcore/punk in drop d through a Ampeg SVT2pro/410hf.

- I use pick and fingers and want a tighter/thicker pick tone that is less muddy and more focused.

- Which one is less boomy? I want a tighter lowend then what Im getting stock. the HLF is too boomy for me as it is.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

no experience with the 1/4, the hot P I thought worked well with a hot stack - some fat, full, clear, rich tones. I didn't have any problem with it muddying up. You can read reviews on the P in Dimento's P experiment and do a search for the PJ set in D's PJ X.

The hot P's not suppose to hum when in combo with the J but it's hummed no matter what in spite of numerous attempts to shut it up and I've heard similar accounts from others that have used it - and some people have had no problem with hum. But it's about the only negative thing I have to say about this particular pup.

3. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I wouldn't rule out the SPB-1 Vintage. I have one paired up with an SJB-2 Hot in a '76 P-bass and couldn't be happier with the tone. In my opinion it nails the classic P-bass sound, and the volumes of either one soloed are very even. My guess is that you'd find both the SPB-2 and 3 to be quite louder than the SJB-2.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The SPB-3 is probably the last pickup Id put in any of my basses.

Its a real scooped sounding pickup so you'll just get more low end and its not the good kind. It lacks the body portion of the note that you're looking for.

You'd get lost in the mix with one of those.

5. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I already put in a SPB-3 QP yesterday and don’t think I'm liking it at all but was messing with my setup afterwards and think that’s part of the problem.

It’s not that bad with fingers but with a pick it seems I have to fight really hard to get the rhythms of 16th note galloping type bass lines to not get lost and just sound like a mess of frequencies all over the place.

I know Fender/Mr.Gearhead recommends 7/64-5/54 across for pick-up height but since the QP is a hotter pick-up what would be a good starting point?

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I start with the pups as high as they'll go without driving the strings into them and pretty much only adjust them if I get distortion or imbalance. I've had a few occassions where I had to drop them cuase the pups would suck the strings up. You get more of everything with them higher. If the pups are truly scooped I'd guess that's the source - mids is where you get cut and clarity.