Basslines 1/4lb J-bass, makin hum, lacking clarity

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Incubass, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Incubass

Jul 28, 2000
    I recently bought a set of Duncan Basslines 1/4lb jbass pickups for my mex. jazz. And I really don't see THAT much of a difference from my stock mex pickups, other than the fact that the pole pieces aren't exposed, so i don't get the "pop" when i slap. The sound seems very muddy down low. Lacking alot of clarity. ANd there is also a hum that has come w/ these that goes away when i touch any metal part of the bass... I did install these myself, w/ my grandfather's help (he knows how to solder) and according to the schematic other than grounding both pickups on the neck volume bass (We grounded the neck pickup on the neck volume, and bridge pickup on the bridge volume, this was how the stock pickups were wired.) To all who respond and attempt to help me, out, thank you in advance.
    thanks for your time
  2. Scarecrow555

Nov 16, 2009
    Hi Incubass
    I also use these pickups in my modified Yamaha RBX bass and have had no trouble at all. I recognise the 'muddy' bass on the E string but this is actually what I wanted and overall these are superb pickups. I doubt whether these are at fault.
    Have you gone onto Seymour Duncan's site and looked at the wiring diagram for the pickups just incase you've got it wrong ?
    The above takes you to the site.
    Hope this helps

Brian (Scotland)