basslines active preamp help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jimmyb, Aug 30, 2003.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb "A lifetime spent in groove's pocket" Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
    Just got a basslines 2 band preamp for active pups off e-bay. will this preamp work with passive pups? Where can I get the wiring scematic? the duncan site only has one for the 3 band preamp. Anyone have one of these, how do they sound?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That's four questions right there! :)

I'll answer what I can.

It'll work, but not sound right. The preamp itself doesn't care whether your signal is active or passive, but the pots that ship with the prewired harness have impedance values suitable for active pickups (I think the SD basslines for active pups uses 100k for blend and 10k volume, passive would almost certainly use 250k).

The difference between 2 band and 3 band is the mid control. The input stage - which takes the output of the blend control - is the same. You'd wire the 2 band up as it's shown for the 3 band, attaching the neck/bridge pups as shown to the blend pot.

Like anything, it depends on the bass they're in. The SD basslines MM replacement circuit works great on a Musicman bass. I had your exact preamp in my warwick thumb 5 bass, and it didn't do it for me. Wasn't bad, just couldn't get a sound I loved with it. Seemed I had to have the bass boost on full all the time. Probably because of the Thumb 5 pickup placement which means there's not as much neck bass boom as you would usually expect on a 2J pickup bass. But it'd probably sound great in another bass, just as Barts sounded terrible in my Warwick but great in my Elrick.