Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basslines+Aguilar OBP-1: help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ropie, Nov 25, 2004.

1. ropie

ropie

Nov 25, 2004
    Hi everybody, I'm writing from Venice, Italy.
    Got a problem with my Warwick Streamer LX 6 with Basslines active soapbars.
    I bought an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp, stripped out the old electronics and installed the Aguilar. No sound from the bass was heard...
    The question is: do I need to install another battery to feed the pickups? I didn't think so because the old electronics had an active-passive switch. Can anyone with a similar setup help me?
    thanks a lot

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the obp-1 needs 18v. I'm not sure from what you're saying whether you are running with one or two batteries.
    You should be able to power both pickups and preamp with 18v, but it won't work with 9v
    You're talking about two different things. An active / passive switch on a bass with active pickups will only bypass the preamp. This will help you in the event of preamp failure. But if your battery dies, the pickups don't have power and you're stuffed.

3. ropie

ropie

Nov 25, 2004
    yes, i'm using two batteries. I don't understand if I have to install a third battery just for the pickups or if I have to wire the preamp batteries to them... the schematics on both Basslines and Aguilar sites don't explain it clearly enough for me.
    thanks for your help

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you can do a third battery only for the pickups if you want, or splice in the pickup power wires with the existing battery hot wires. Most active pickups have a very low draw, so I'd think you can get by with 2. But since I haven't done your exact setup, I can't say 100%.

As to your problem, if you take clear photos of the cavity myself and others can help. It's thanksgiving in the US today, and a lot of people are visiting family so we might not be able to help as quick as normally.

5. ropie

ropie

Nov 25, 2004
    thanks david.
    will post as soon as possible a couple of pics, before and after the mess I made...
    Happy Thanksgiving!

6. ropie

ropie

Nov 25, 2004
    here's the pics:

the first is the obviously the mess I made, the second is the original circuit. on the first picture you can see, on the bottom, the balance pot, the white cables wired to it bring the pickup signal, the red ones should be wired to the batteries (or to the famous third battery).
    how can I do it?

Attached Files:

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    In the pic you posted, I don't see the blend pot connected to anything?

Or are you just feeding one pickup directly into the volume pot for now?
    If you haven't done that, have you tried it? That would help narrow down where the problem is.

Can you take a higher res photo, and show where your battery connections are happening - I can't see the detail from the pic you posted.

8. ropie

ropie

Nov 25, 2004
    Sorry, but now I can't take pictures...
    The balance pot was actually disconected in that picture, it's connected to the volume pot now. I'll try your advice of connecting one pickup to the volume pot, but I need to feed the pickups with a battery, and don't now how to wire it. The pickups power cables are the red ones wired together on the bottom of the first pic

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I thought the question was, you already HAD the pickups powered and the question was more whether you could just use the existing two or had to introduce a new third one. I thought we were dealing with trying to diagnose something wired wrong, I didn't realize you expected to get sound with your active pickups unpowered.

OK, simplest way to do this. you have two batteries chained together and the output +ve wire is attached to the red wire on the obp-1, right? At that junction, also attach the two pickup wires so you have four wires joining. Tada

10. ropie

ropie

Nov 25, 2004
    thanks david.

ok. I'm dumb.

everything works, except for the volume pot: the volume remains at a fixed output...
    some ideas?

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    photos of vol pot, please. Without that, it's guesswork (lugs joined by solder?, bad pot? etc). Also, double check your wiring against the wiring diagram

12. ropie

ropie

Nov 25, 2004
    my fault. bad wiring.
    I PROMISE next time will be more careful at it before bothering you... :D