1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basslines AJJ5 - better than EMGs or passive Duncans

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blueacid4l, Sep 14, 2008.

1. blueacid4l

blueacid4l Gold Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Ok, so I've thought it over and I'm pretty sure I'm swapping out pups in my Pedulla Rapture JJ 5er w/ a Maple Board. I'm gonna go either one of two ways. Here's the first thing I'm gonna try, hopefully It'll give me the tone I'm looking for:

Swapping out the stock bart JJ ( I'd like something a bit more aggressive, with a slightly zingy top end with the tone opened up)
    with some Active Duncan Basslines Jazz pickups. I'm looking for a sound that cuts, that can give me a New Gospel tone, and can give me that back pickup bark when I solo the bridge and roll of the tone a bit.
    I've heard that the Active Basslines are the way to go for a slightly warmer EMG sound that isn't as harsh. On searching the forums though, I've found people chiming in about not liking the Active Duncans, but I don't know if they were talking about the 4 string ones ( which come in 3 diff. voicings ) I know I like the P-nut/ Dirk Lance tone, and I know I they use to put these bad boys in the earlier Warwicks, and I know I like the Warwick sound ( Just not the Warwick FEEL, which I could NEVER get use to )
    The bass Feels Perfect, balances well, and has an acoustically snappy sound that I want to bring out. I'm not sure if this helps, but one of the best tones I ever had was a Maple boarded stingray 4 w/ a seymour duncan smb4a and an aguilar pre. I'm just not sure what jazz set would get me close to that cut and top end.
    I'm sorry I tend to ramble ( especially on my 3rd cup of Joe ). So.... Active Basslines.. Good Idea or what?

2. blueacid4l

Mar 9, 2006
    Bump for input.. anyone?

3. I swaped my bartolini soapbars to basslines on a Clover Slapper giant five bass.
    The tone is more agressive in the bridge position, and fuller in the neck one.
    Both bridge and neck are more brilliant, with clarity that is required to modern playing.
    Absolutelly quiet. Running them with EMG active preamp.
    Generally more pleased than the bart sound.
    Good luck to your quest

4. blueacid4l

Mar 9, 2006
    That was kind of the sound I was going fer.. I ordered 'em Today! Thanks for your response! Hopefully I'll put 'em in and post clips up.

5. Good. Let us know how things went for you and your Pedulla after the swap