Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basslines Alnico MM: String Spacing Concerns

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eViL cAkE, Jun 6, 2005.

1. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    I'm wanting to construct a custom bass from all afternarket parts (Moses neck, Warmoth body, etc.)

Anyway...I would like a duel MM style humbucker (G&L style) pickup configuration for this bass. I want to use a pair of Basslines alnico MM pickups; one located in the P-bass position, and one "right smack dab" in between the front pickup and the bridge. The neck I'm wanting for this bass is intended as a replacement for a Fender Jazz.

I was just wondering if the string spacing to polepiece spacing relationship would be compatible if the pickups were in the above mentioned positions, since the MM replacement pickup is mainly intended a single, "sweetspot" sort of humbucker.

Thanks, :bassist:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

from what I can gather you're talking about a pair of MM's only - one P position and one between the bridge and the P. If that's the case, if the bridge works for one it should work for the other with no problem. If the neck pup was stuck against the neck and the bridge against the bridge, may be an issue.

At any rate, if you install a Schaller roller bridge with lateral spacing then you can move the strings where you need them. Don't know about a Moses neck, but I doubt some skinny neck is going to cut it.

3. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    Just a note of clarification;

This is a 5 string bass. I know the Fender Jazz is known for having a narrowish neck, but according to the Moses website, the 5 string Jazz neck is narrower at the nut but, wider at the 22nd fret than their 5 string Musicman neck. So if I adjust the string width at the bridge in a way that's complementary to the neck width, the strings will actually be slightly farther apart over the pickups, than they would be on an actual Musicman. I'd get the Musicman spec neck just to make life easier in regards to the string spacing, but I can't seem to find anyone who makes aftermarket Musicman bodies. So I pretty much have to use a Fender compatable neck.

Reference:
    Moses 5 String J=1.71" at nut & 2.875" at 22nd fret.
    Moses 5 String MM=1.75" at nut & 2.75" at 22nd fret.

Thanks again.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh,

width at the nut really won't matter in terms of having enought fingerboard to cover the string width for the spread of the poles. However, the more deviation there is between the bridge saddle width and the nut width, the more a variance in pole spacing will become an issue as a neck pup is moved up the neck.

You won't know what you've got till you get it setup, then you can simply find out what the pole spacing is for the pups in question and measure to what you've got and you'll know without having to actually buy the pups to find out. Then you can adjust your plan accordingly.

5. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i was just wondering how these pickups sound...compared to a regular stingray pickup...i had thought of switching mine out

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the SD alnico's I haven't had, but I've had most of the rest of them and have a Ray pup. The alnico MM's sound more like each other than any other pup type I've had. So much so, it's splitting hairs. One may have a slight edge over another for a given player for whatever reason. But's it's just as likely another would work for another guy slightly better. To give you an idea, for the longest time I kept a Carvin alnico in favor of the others - including a Nord 4.2 - cause in one particular bass it had an edge. I doubt 5's would be any different than 4's in that respect.

The Ray took over when I picked it up becuase it had a bit more punch and rawness but, as much as anything else, originals are the benchmark everyone compares to so it's beneficial for me to keep it around. I personally couldn't find any real significant difference between any of them and I can't say that about any other pups I've had made by differenct manufacturers intended to fulfill the same function.

I'd wager money most players couldn't tell the difference if they were swapped. Room acoustics would create a lot more tone variation than those pups. At least that's my take and I can't say I've heard anybody say any different. So maybe now they will :- )

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just FYI... Ernie Ball is going to introduce dual-pickup Stingrays (4- and 5-string, both humbucker-humbucker and humbucker-single coil) very soon... summer NAMM IIRC from their forum (and TB) threads.