Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basslines Ceramic Musicman Replacements for OLP MM2?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Alright, I found a great deal on some ceramic (I think they're ceramic) MM replacement pickups and am considering installing them in my OLP MM2 bass. So, I was gonna ask if anyone has put their OLP MM2 on crack using the SMB pickups? These pickups are only gonna cost me 99 bucks (I have the money to spare) so do you think it'd be worth my money and time getting these?

I've heard some pretty good things, but I'd still like to hear as many opinions as possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I say go for it. You may need to install a preamp of some sort before it starts to sound like a 'ray.

3. Well, off to Guitar Center to see if I can play the pickups I'm looking at, or atleast something close to them.

4. as in most MM replacement pups a preamp and tone setup is required to give the MM sound
    if you wire just passive its not quite the same and the output may be lowish..
    i looked at the ceramic as being the next generation up from alnico even though alnico is available
    :)

5. Well, I'm wiring them in passive at first, then going to put the preamp in, once I get more money.

I just ordered them today, so they should be here by Thursday or Friday. I just hope they sound great.

6. JFRES

JFRES

Mar 2, 2004
    I've just bought a SMB4-A. Anyone knows the right wiring for the OLP MM2? I don't dare to cut any wire before information cause I think they are not the same wiring design:
    SMB-4A : 5 wires - Red, Green, White, Black + GROUND -
    MM2: 4 wires - 2 X Black & White, no ground

????
    HELP PLEASE!!!!

7. JFRES

JFRES

Mar 2, 2004
    I've just bought a SMB-4A. Anyone knows the right wiring for the OLP MM2? I don't dare to cut any wire before information cause I think they are not the same wiring design:
    SMB-4A : 5 wires - Red, Green, White, Black + GROUND -
    MM2: 4 wires - 2 X Black & White, no ground

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I play a real stingray, not an OLP, and once swapped out the stock pickup with a Basslines ceramic. Didn't sound anything like a stingray anymore . . .

It'll likely be an improvement over the OLP's stock pickup, but don't expect it to sound like a ray. :bassist:

9. Worse? How about lows?