Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

basslines hot jazz vs. fender cs 60's...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thetaurus, Aug 17, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i know i've asked about pickups before, and i know jazz ad said to go for the series parallel switch, but i was thinking about it, and i don't want a switch or push/pull pot on my bass. i want a set of pickups that are just going to give me a thick, solid tone straight from my bass, and i'll do more tone shaping from my amp (mesa 400+/svt 8x10). at first i was thinking about either dimarzio ultra jazz, or model j's. here's the thing...i don't really care about them being humbucking (cancelling?), because i keep both pickups and the tone pot all the way up all the time...it's just how i like my bass. i'm not crazy about the all black and adjustable pole pieces of the model j's, and i've heard that the ultra jazz may be alittle too clean for what i'm playing. i play loud chaotic rock and roll (vegas standard in my signature). so i'm thinking that i want passive single coils. it's down to either the basslines hot jazz (non stack), or fender cs 60's. both got good reviews in the bass player shootout. what do you all think would be better? let me know. thanks.

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I just installed a set of Fender CS 60's Jazz pickups in an Essex J bass. I am not that impressed. They are decent but the Quarter Pounders I have used before totally smoke them. They are good tone wise but just not enough output for my taste.

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    yeah...i'm starting to think again about having my bass modified to fit a p pickup in the neck position, and using a 1/4 lb. p/j set.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    You thought about putting a DiMarzio Subwoofer p-up in that position? Like the Yamaha Attitude bass? Billy Sheehan has used them for years...very distinct tone in my opinion

5. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    right now i'm trying to decide between the dimarzio ultra jazz, and the basslines hot jazz (non stack).

6. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a Jazz with the Fender reissue p/us and I like them very much. I would however go out on a limb and recommend the Basslines Hot P/Us. I have a P bass with the hot in it and one benefit is the increased output. It also has great low end response.

You mentioned you might drop in a P bass split on your Jazz. I think that would sound fantastick with the hot p/u.

Of course I'm talking about what my ears like. YMMV.