Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basslines Hot Jazz!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mark Reccord, May 7, 2002.

1. I finally got them! After 4 months of waiting, and the SD rep is a friend of mine! Anyway, it didn't matter much because I spent the last 4 months away from home with no cabinet...
    I installed them in my US Jazz last night. Man do they ever sound great! Compared to the stock pickups they have a lot more low end, but it's really tight and focused. They have a really growly, aggressive midrange and slightly attenuated highs. The top end is as smooth as the mids are aggressive. It sounds like a Jazz bass except uh "more"! :D Wow! They are really high output, too. The Jazz now has as much output as my Stingray5. They're really quiet for single coils, rolling either pickup off doesn't create much buzz at all. The bridge pickup is beefy enough that you can roll of the neck pickup entirely without it getting really thin and nasal. If you're looking for agressive J-bass tone, I've never heard any other pickups that do it like these! Now I just gotta wait for my MM 5 Basslines to arrive......:p

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    These do sound great.

I have a pair that were taken from a Jazz I wanted to get back into a more vintage condition. Some guy here asked about them, I offered them to him at a good price, answered a bunch of his questions.... and then he accused me of planning to rip him off and disappeared. What a flake!

Anyway, good choice!

3. Hey Goat,

Good news! Glad you dig 'em.

I took the SD tone chart and extrapolated the bar graphics into a 1-to-10 numbering scheme as used by DiMarzio, and put it all into the PICKUPS section of my spread sheet. There appears to be a correlation between the "hot" pickups having similar numbers, especially with P type pickups.

For example, the SD Hot Jazz is 8-6-6 (Bass-Mid-Treble) and the DiMarzio J is 6-5-4, and the Ultra Jazz is 6-5-6.

Your SD Hot Jazz should have a boosted bottom end, and mids/treble about the same, according to the SD specs. I'd think the overwound types ("Hot") would have somewhat rolled off highs. I would welcome this, as I already have too much highs already.

Congrats on the ballzy duo.

I have the SD Hot P-Bass pickup just waiting to go into my MIM P. I've got a whorehouse white pearl pickguard enroute from an eBay seller, so it is going on at the same time.