Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

basslines hot jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thetaurus, Sep 15, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i'm going to order my new pickups this friday. i have it narrowed down to the basslines hot jazz, and dimarzio model j's. i can get both for a comparable price, so that's not an issue. i've heard great things about the model j's, but i just really don't like the adjustable pole pieces. the only thing that worries me about the hot jazz is that they might have too much output, and distort very easily. also...the basslines website says their eq is 6/6/4 (b/m/t), but the catalog says 4/6/4. which is more accurate. i'm worried that with that much output they won't have a solid "thump" to them.

i play loud, chaotic rock and roll, and some hardcore. i have an mia jazz (natural/maple) going into a mesa 400+, and an svt 8x10. i'm looking for a thick, balanced, "badass" tone that will cut and thump. what do you think?

2. The tone your looking for describes my MIA Jazz (Natural/Maple too!) with EMG J-pups. It cut and had great bottom. My only issue was that it went a little too far from the warm Jazz tone. It sounded great but it was almost a one trick pony. I swapped the EMG's out for passive Fender Lace Sensors and it has a wide variety of warm tones but it dosen't cut that much. Sooo... let us know how yours sounds.
    Robert

3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I've got a set of SJB-2's (Basslines Hot Jazz) p'ups in one of my basses. Very nice pickups that can be ordered seperately (don't have to buy pair). Anyhow, I think you'll dig 'em. They're not outlandishly hot, but they do give you plenty of output. Plenty of bottom too.
    -Mike