Basslines MM/ Bartolini Setup Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by modflea, Apr 26, 2004.

1. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Well, here goes...

I have a Modulus Flea bass that I bought used and have had for quite some time. It has the Basslines MM pickup and Bartolini NTBT electronics. Everytime I turn the treble up I get this real loud hiss or buzzing noise. It kind of seems like 60 cycle hum or a bad ground. Is that possible for a MM? I thought they were grounded. I went so far as to totally change out the Bartolini system with another NTBT system but nothing's changed. It happens no matter where or what I plug the bass into. My local music store told me it was normal but I don't think so. My '92 P-Bass Plus has the EMG system in it and I get no noise at all. For a bass this expensive I don't feel it should be this noisy. Is it the bass, pickups, electronics, or what? I've tried a 9 volt and 18 volt setup inside but there's no difference.

Thanks in advance...
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    For What It's Worth,

I had a set of Duncans - Hot P and J hotstack - that weren't supposed to be noisey and went to considerable length to shut them up with no luck. The P was the one making racket. Some of the Duncans are pretty high output so maybe that's a factor. But I know of at least one other dude that had the same problems with the Duncan Hot PJ.
  3. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Actually that does help a lot. I went to another music store and was told that it is in fact the pickups that are adding so much noise to the signal. I want to replace the MM with the Bartolini MM, but then I find out there are three (!) different models to choose from. Now I have to figure out which one will be the best for my Modulus. If anybody can help I would appreciate it. I read the MM experiment thread but I need to know about the three Bartolini replacements.

If I could only find a Lane Poor for sale....
  4. zeh

Jul 11, 2003
    Lisbon , Portugal
    I have the exact same problem with a modulus flea with Seymour MM pickup with aguilar pre amp... when I turn the amp volume up I get a really huge hummmmmmmm , and the same goes to the P.A system if I connect the bass directly , I could really use some help cause I love the bass but this is a really big flaw... :bassist: :cool: tkx
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    modflea: I'm inclined to think it's the Basslines pickups as well. I have two Basslines MM pickups on one of my basses and, in the "right" conditions, they buzz like hell.

As for the Barts, it depends on what kind of tone you want. The MMC is supposed to give you a deeper tone while the MME is supposedly brighter in tone.
  6. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Well I'm going to try the MMC. Luknfur has been kind enough to offer a trade for my Basslines for the MMC he's been using in his experiments so I'll give that a try and let you guys know how it comes out.